Ellipsis Magazine: Pages and Pages of Student Art

There+is+still+time+to+submit+your+work+to+be+featured+in+the+2023-2024+edition.+
Courtesy of Ellipsis Magazine
There is still time to submit your work to be featured in the 2023-2024 edition.

If students are looking for an on-campus organization that allows full artistic expression and creativity, Ellipsis Magazine may be the place for them. Published annually in May, Ellipsis  focuses on all kinds of literary art. Its past publications have included a variety of poems, doodles, drawings and paintings. This unique, creative approach is a reminder to the student body that anything can be art, and all forms of self-expression are valued and valid.

This year, the magazine’s theme is “Déjà Vu.” The announcement, made in November, cites this subject as being “where past, present and future all meet.” 

“Every year, we hold a BYOT (bring your own theme) meeting where anyone on staff can pitch a theme, and then we vote,” President of Operations and Editor-in-Chief Lu Nogueira said. 

This year, like many others, the theme is more of an “amalgamation of a few different themes, and the title just stuck,” according to Nogueira.

Submissions are due by March 20 through the magazine’s email. It is important to note that while fitting into the theme is a bonus, it is not necessary. Along with encouraging submissions of all kinds, Ellipsis is hosting a poetry workshop on March 19 in the West Lounge, in case last minute creativity strikes or artists want feedback on their work before officially submitting it.

Ellipsis loves to see unique pieces,” Nogueira said. “Our mission with the magazine is to expand what can be defined as art – we’ve gotten everything from traditional paintings to text messages.” 

While always screening for quality, the Ellipsis staff is constantly on the lookout for fun new approaches to art to include in the magazine.

Ellipsis is an awesome opportunity to share your art, whatever it may be, with the community,” Nogueira said. 

The emphasis on inclusion and fun is a crucial part of the magazine and provides a unique creative space for students. The freedom Ellipsis promises its artists gives the magazine a more light-hearted feel, and the staff hopes that their approach will draw in more aspiring artists.

“It’s a small enough publication that the exposure is welcoming, rather than intimidating,” Nogueira said. “It is a super cool thing to get involved in. We accept basically anything that can be displayed on a piece of paper. When in doubt, submit what you have anyways.”

Submissions to Ellipsis can be sent through its email: [email protected] .