Women’s Lacrosse Defeats La Salle, Falls to Navy

Villanova played two road games over the weekend, beating La Salle 14–4 and losing to Navy 18–9.

This past week, Villanova went 1-1 in two road games. After defeating La Salle University in Philly, the ‘Cats traveled to Maryland, where they were defeated by the United States Naval Academy. Villanova is now 3-2 on the season and currently sits at third place in the Big East standings. 

Last Wednesday, Feb. 21, ‘Nova beat La Salle, 14-4, at McCarthy Stadium in Philadelphia.

Freshman attacker Jillian Vaught achieved her first career goal seconds before the end of the second period. Vaught did not stop there, going on to score two more goals and achieving her first career hat trick on the same day.

Junior attacker Sami Carey scored a hat trick, as well, with two unassisted goals and one executed with the help of junior defender Maddy Stoddard. Junior attacker Sydney Pappas notched two goals last Wednesday, one assisted by Carey.

La Salle is number five in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Although the Wildcats defeated the Explorers by 10, La Salle’s sophomore goalie made nine saves against the ‘Cats. Two Villanova goalies, junior Cate Gallagher and freshman Mackenzie Fisher, combined for a total of seven saves. 

Freshman Emma Verhoest led the ‘Cats in draw controls with 14 on Wednesday’s win. 

On Saturday, Feb. 24 Villanova traveled to Annapolis, Maryland, where it was defeated by the United States Naval Academy, 18-9. Navy has a season record of 3-0 and is currently in first place in the Patriot League conference.

Pappas scored six goals against Navy, two of which were assisted by Carey and one by Gulmi. Two of Pappas’ goals were free position shots. 

The only time Villanova tied the score was two minutes into the first period, 1–1. 

Freshman midfielder Rose Christie scored the first goal of the game, which was assisted by freshman midfielder Mary Moore. 

Junior midfielder Katie Giordano scored a goal, assisted by Gulmi to start off the third period. Carey also had a goal in the third period assisted by Cara Moreau. 

Junior defender Amelia Ricciuti gained six ground balls and one cross turnover last Saturday. Verhoest won five draw controls against Navy’s own Alyssa Daley. Freshman defender Cailin Harrington had three ground balls and one cross turnover against the midshipmen. 

Navy recorded seven goals in the first period. Junior attacker Tori DiCarlo achieved seven goals against the ‘Cats. Junior midfielder Emily Messinese scored five goals in the first half alone. Daley won 10 draw controls against ‘Nova. The goalies for the Wildcats, and Navy’s Felicia Giglio had a shared save count of seven. 

Although Villanova was more successful in clears going 16-18 across the four periods, it was not enough to reign victorious against the powerful Navy team. 

Villanova will play Saint Joseph’s on Wednesday, Feb. 28, at 1 p.m. at home.