Program Spotlight: Villanova RUIBAL- Freshman Engagement Through Service

RUIBAL+is+headquartered+in+the+newly+renovated+St.+Rita+Hall.+
Maggie Fitzgerald/Villanovan Photography
RUIBAL is headquartered in the newly renovated St. Rita Hall.

Villanova’s RUIBAL program has become a fundamental aspect of freshmen engagement, as it offers a unique opportunity for students to make a positive impact on the Philadelphia community at the beginning of their college careers. This program, which is exclusively for freshmen, is centered around supporting K-8 students in local schools and aftercare centers, participating in activities such as tutoring, mentoring and recreational activities.

RUIBAL is more than simply a service initiative; it is a community-building experience that nurtures personal growth and social awareness among its devoted volunteers. Students are grouped in teams of approximately six, which are led by two or three upperclassmen leaders who facilitate transportation to and from service sites. For freshmen volunteers, the commitment requires three hours of dedication per week on a set day of the week for the entire semester, with service taking place Monday through Friday. 

While volunteering, freshmen participants engage in a variety of activities, including games and activities such as tennis, basketball, freeze tag and arts and crafts. In addition to these recreational activities, tutoring in elementary school subjects and simply hanging out with students are vital parts of the RUIBAL experience.

“I originally got involved with RUIBAL my freshman year because I thought it sounded like an amazing opportunity to get involved in service at Villanova,” junior Sarah Lucenko said. “Because it was a freshman year experience, I was looking for ways to form friendships and become involved in my newfound community. It quickly became one of my favorite things that I do at Villanova.”

The program operates on a yearly basis with consistent partnerships between Villanova and the schools that RUIBAL serves, allowing volunteers to build long-lasting relationships with the children and staff. RUIBAL is a familiar presence in these schools, receiving warm welcomes from both students and staff. The impact extends beyond just academic support, as the program fills a crucial role in providing general help after school. RUIBAL volunteers not only contribute to the academic growth of the children, but also to their overall well-being and happiness. 

Lucenko, who serves as RUIBAL’s justice and reflection chair, is responsible for hosting two social justice forums, which are events for volunteers to learn more about social issues that are actively affecting the communities in which they serve. 

“I love my role as social justice chair because it really helps our members to invest in their own personal development, as well as fosters my own,” Lucenko said. “These topics are hugely important, and anything I can do to teach members about these issues and spread awareness is very meaningful to me.”

RUIBAL’s executive board is composed of eight student chair positions, including program chairs and partner chairs, who also play roles in organizing and coordinating program events. There are recruitment events at the beginning of each semester, in addition to two bonding events for volunteers to get to know each other better.

The RUIBAL program at Villanova is more than just community service. It is a program that impacts personal growth, fosters community engagement and increases social awareness.

To follow along on RUIBAL’s journey, follow its Instagram @villanovaruibal.