John F. Scarpa Foundation Gifts Law School Millions

Chloe McAloon Staff Writer

On Nov. 12, a $15 million gift from the John F. Scarpa Foundation to the Charles Widger School of Law was made public by University President Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., Ph.D. Scarpa’s gift will initiate a new phase of entrepreneurship initiatives and scholarship. The Law School building is to be named John F. Scarpa Hall in recognition of Scarpa’s lifetime generosity of over $20 million to the University. Scarpa’s giving has fostered entrepreneurial expertise, innovative thinking and collaboration across the University. 

In 2015, Scarpa’s $5 million gift established the John F. Scarpa Center for Law and Entrepreneurship in the School of Law, which has nurtured academic and practical discussions concerning entrepreneurship and law. In 2020, Scarpa’s $15 million gift — the largest made to date — will further develop the success of the Scarpa Center. Generous funding will expand the current portfolio of academic and programmatic offerings, influencing new innovation among Villanova students and prospective entrepreneurs. 

The Scarpa Foundation’s gift will establish an endowed faculty position, supporting the school’s core “where law meets business” philosophy. The John F. Scarpa Endowed Professor in Entrepreneurship will serve as a teacher-scholar, thought leader and change agent in entrepreneurship and innovation.

The Scarpa Foundation’s gift will also fund extensive services and resources for the Law School, including a program for Villanova Law students to provide guidance to others pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors, strategic support for entrepreneurial and experimental approaches in Law School operations and scholarship for students dedicated to entrepreneurship and innovation. The Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship Institute will host an annual venture competition in which students will compete for seed funding. 

According to John F. Scarpa, former Co-Chairman and Founder of American Cellular Network Corporation and Co-Founder of UNITEL Wireless Communications Systems, “This new investment will foster an entrepreneurial mindset across campus…inspir[ing] tomorrow’s leaders who will change the world for the better.” 

Scarpa understands that “we need innovative leaders to tackle challenging issues with bold solutions.”