Orientation Counselors Deserve to be Paid

Orientation+Counselors+can+often+be+found+sharing+the+eager+passion+and+love+for+the+Villanova+community+with+first+years.+
Courtesy of @novaorientation on Instagram
Orientation Counselors can often be found sharing the eager passion and love for the Villanova community with first years.

As a freshman at Villanova, I have witnessed the dedication and selflessness of our Orientation Counselors, who are more affectionately known to many as OCs. These student leaders play a crucial role in welcoming new students and easing their transition to college life. 

Amidst their unwavering commitment, it’s essential to recognize the sacrifices they make and the value they bring to our community. 

“I just love it so much,” junior and current OC Lily Matranga said. “Of course, I’m gonna do it even for free.” 

Matranga’s words encapsulate the passion and enthusiasm that many of these OCs bring to their roles. Their genuine love for the University and desire to support their peers drive them to devote countless hours to Orientation activities, mentorship and community-building.

Becoming an OC is far from a casual commitment. It’s a significant undertaking that requires considerable time and effort. From the mandatory training in mid-August to the conclusion of the Orientation program, OCs must be fully present and available to support new students. This means sacrificing precious summer break time, as well as potentially leaving internships or summer jobs early to fulfill their responsibilities.

For many students, summer internships or jobs are not just opportunities for personal and professional growth, but they also serve as crucial sources of income. Having to cut these experiences short to serve as an OC can place a significant financial burden on students, making it difficult to meet their financial needs during the academic year. The decision to be an OC should not require students to choose between financial stability and supporting their peers. Compensating Villanova’s OCs would not only alleviate this dilemma but also ensure that the Orientation Program benefits from a diverse pool of student leaders. By providing fair wages for OCs’ time and effort, Villanova can attract and retain talented individuals from all financial backgrounds, enrich the experience for incoming students and foster a more inclusive campus community, something Villanova says it strives to promote. 

Moreover, recognizing the value of OCs through compensation sends a powerful message about the importance of their contributions. These student leaders serve as mentors, guides and sources of support during a critical period of transition for incoming students. OCs invest themselves, emotionally and mentally, in supporting their peers during a time of significant transition. They provide guidance, support and a sense of belonging to incoming students, often serving as trusted confidants during challenging moments in the adjustment to college life. Their willingness to prioritize the needs of others over their own is commendable and deserves to be acknowledged. And this work does not stop when classes begin. OCs are friendly faces for students throughout the school year. They emphasize how members of their group can text them at any point during the school year and can ask them anything, from restaurant recommendations to how to handle roommate conflicts. 

Compensating Villanova’s OCs is not just a matter of fairness. It’s an investment in the well-being and success of the wider community. By acknowledging their sacrifices and valuing their contributions, Villanova is upholding the principles of equity, inclusion and mutual support that define the Villanova experience. As we celebrate the passion and dedication of our OCs, let us also ensure that they receive the recognition and compensation they deserve for their invaluable service to the University and the comfort they provide to our newest members.