VillaVogue: Tailgate Fashion Highlights

Courtesy of Ciara Dursee
Begin crafting fashionable tailgate outfits in preparation for next Wells Fargo season.

As the beloved Villanova basketball games held at Wells Fargo Stadium come to a close for the season, we can take some time to reflect on the most important part of gamedays: tailgate outfits. 

Let’s be honest. Half of the stress we endure before the ride to Wells Fargo comes from deliberation over what to wear. We all want to be unique, stylish and spirited, while also dressing to accommodate the hours on our feet and the sometimes brutal temperatures. 

Let’s discuss some of this season’s highlights, shall we? 

Denim-on-Denim: There has been endless controversy over this look in the past year. Personally, I have been loving the Canadian Tuxedo, denim-on-denim trend. Especially when our school colors are blue and white, the outfit has immense potential. A medium-wash pair of jeans with a matching jean jacket, slightly oversized, was a winning look this season. Add a pair of black sunglasses and white samba sneakers, and you are set for the game. 

Bomber Jacket: Specifically, bomber jackets with an embroidered “Villanova” spanning across the back are very popular. I am a huge fan of these jackets to upscale any outfit, adding a touch of chic, athletic flair. These staple pieces, however, are tricky to find. The best place to look is our very own bookstore. Vintage bomber jackets are always an incredible steal if you’re lucky enough to come across one at your local thrift store. 

Fuzzy Earmuffs: Earmuffs were a fan-favorite this season. While earmuffs have never been a wardrobe staple, when the temperature drops to a frigid degree, we’ll take anything. This season, tailgate attendees made them look superior. My preference was a simple pair of fuzzy, white earmuffs that were able to match every outfit, and doubled as a practical accommodation for the weather. 

Tiny black sunglasses: There is a large variety of sunglasses to choose from when elevating a basic outfit, but one pair stands above the rest: tiny black shades. Though most of the tailgates were past sundown, I never missed a chance to compliment someone with a cute pair of sunglasses. They are always a showstopper and a clear non-negotiable. Immediately browsing the web after my first Wells Fargo game, I found my favorite pair on Princess Polly’s online store: Creeper Sunglasses Tortoiseshell. Run, don’t walk.

Basic minimalist headband: This trend does not get enough credit for the power it holds today. A minimalist favorite that took over the runway in the 90s – with a touch of French fashion– and has returned with intensity. This classic headwear will never go out of style. One can get these closet essentials anywhere for a fair price. My go-to online order is simply on Amazon. 

Wool Villanova Sweater: Honestly, I originally thought a white or blue sweater with “Villanova” stitched across the chest was too cheesy and out of style to wear to any game. Despite my prior perception, I have come to adore this piece. I was obsessed with a white wool sweater, slightly oversized, with blue lettering that perfectly matched our school colors. Where to find this? Etsy is your best option. 

Faux Leather Sherpa Moto Jacket: Smooth on the outside, furry on the inside. Not just a cute look, but also super practical for a late-night game when the temperature drops below 30 degrees. This is a wardrobe essential and an ideal combination for outdoor tailgates. It is warm, durable and comfortable. Style it with a basic long-sleeve, a pair of baggy jeans and platform boots. Trust me, people will be asking you where your sherpa is from all night long. 

Dr. Marten Smooth Leather Chelsea boots: People have been raving about Dr. Marten boots for years now, and I truly cannot blame them. A versatile, timeless shoe that will be a staple piece in everyone’s closet for the foreseeable future. My current favorite is the Platform Chelsea Boots. The slick leather ankle boot will make you walk with confidence. You can find these vital boots at several shops. I recommend Marc Fisher and Steve Madden, in addition to the classic Dr. Marten brand. 

At the end of the day, a good outfit is what delivers the outstanding confidence needed for every step of a Villanova game day. Choose a look that allows you to strut through the tailgate, grab your chicken fingers and Zilly fries and finally, sit to cheer on the Wildcats. From a simple white headband to fulfill a sophisticated, yet classy, appearance to the bold head-to-toe denim look, Wells Fargo tailgate attendees are runway ready. 

Wells Fargo tailgates coming to a close can only mean one thing; it’s time to start brainstorming looks for next year. I would like to congratulate our Wildcats on a successful campaign, and I don’t mean the basketball team. While there were certainly memorable wins against Providence and Seton Hall, the larger victories were the consistently wowing attire produced by us non-athlete Wildcats. I am sure next season will be the same, and I know I’m not alone in anxiously waiting to see what popular trends are brought to the stage. Or parking lot.