Villanova’s Newest Club May (K)not Be What You Expected

Relax+and+allow+your+creative+side+to+shine+at+this+new+Villanova+club.+
Courtesy of Gabi Manganello
Relax and allow your creative side to shine at this new Villanova club.

With midterms and Spring Break just around the corner, days at Villanova are starting to get busy. Between classes, extracurriculars, studying and spending time with friends, finding a moment to breathe can feel impossible.

Sound familiar? If you’re searching for a fun way to relax and take a break, look no further than the Villanova Friendship Bracelet Club. This new student organization is the perfect place to get creative and connect with friends. With 20 members and counting, they are growing fast here on campus.  

Many students may feel that they don’t have as much time for hobbies they used to enjoy. Founded by junior Gabi Manganello, the Villanova Friendship Bracelet Club is built upon cherished memories of bracelet-making with friends and cousins. 

“I wanted to create a space where people could come in and just be themselves, relax and have a good time,” Manganello said. “ Our days here at ‘Nova can get pretty hectic, and I want people to come in and de-stress.”

Manganello said if she could pick just one word to describe bracelet-making, it would be “relaxing.” 

“It is a totally stress relieving activity,” she said. “When making a bracelet, you have to focus on tying the right knots over and over and over again. The only multi-tasking I can do when making a bracelet is either watching a movie, which we often do during meetings, or gabbing with my friends.”

It’s true, and the benefits don’t stop there. Numerous sources cite crafting as a healthy hobby. It is a way to release emotions, increase connections and enhance brain productivity. 

Freshman Ciara Dursee is a regular attendee of the club and loves the laid-back atmosphere of the space. 

“I went to the last meeting, and it was so cute,” Dursee said. “You could come in and leave any time, and Gabi helps out and has videos for you to learn if you don’t know. There’s music playing, so it’s very calming and just a great way to rest after class.”

Although the club has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for everyone involved, Manganello shared that the early stages of the organization has presented some challenges, such as raising awareness and figuring out how to efficiently provide instruction to multiple people.

As the weather warms up, Manganello has further plans for the club beyond the therapeutic benefits. She envisions tabling near the Oreo and offering the Villanova community the chance to purchase club members’ creations. Manganello also shared that these sales would make an impact, as the money earned would go to a charity organization of the club’s choice. 

Other clubs on campus regularly connect with members of surrounding communities. In addition to selling bracelets, Manganello is excited to partner with other organizations to make bracelets for the philanthropies they work with, such as Rays of Sunshine, in order to spread kindness and creativity even further. 

The Villanova Friendship Bracelet Club convenes every Wednesday from 7 to 8 p.m., but the location varies. Manganello advises anyone interested to join the GroupMe for updates. The next couple weeks’ meetings will take place in Bartley 036.

Manganello’s advice to anyone hoping to start a club of their own is to simply “go for it.” She describes the process as incredibly rewarding and not too difficult. 

“The process was very straightforward and I must shout out Jack Sherwood, the Assistant Director for Student Engagement, for being so supportive and helpful during the process,” Manganello said. “There is an application to fill out, and then I did a quick presentation on the club and it got approved.”

Whether one is seeking a stress-free activity, a platform to unleash one’s inner artist or simply a chance to bond with other students, the Villanova Friendship Bracelet Club is a fun new opportunity to de-stress.