Sydney Pappas Scores 100th Career Goal in 12–11 Loss to USC

Junior attacker Sydney Pappas scored her hundredth goal for the Wildcats on Sunday against USC.

No. 17 USC defeated Villanova’s women’s lacrosse team, 12-11, at Villanova Stadium on Sunday.

The previous meeting between the teams last March ended in a much more convincing Trojan victory, 15-4. 

It was much closer this time around, and junior attacker Sydney Pappas scored her 100th career goal for ‘Nova during the competition.

The celebration for Pappas did not stop there. Her favorite song and victory chant, ABBA’s “Dancing Queen,” rang through the stadium several times on Sunday. Pappas went on to score four more goals later in the game and now has 104 career goals at the start of her third season with the Wildcats.

“Sydney [Pappas] is incredible,” head coach Jill Batcheller said. “She did it today and I am so proud of her for getting the hundredth goal so early in her career.”

The game kicked off at noon with freshman Emma Verhoest losing the initial draw control against USC freshman Anna Regan. Both drawers would receive yellow cards at separate times during the game, sending Verhoest and Regan to the sidelines in two-minute periods in which the teams played with one less player.

Graduate attacker Cara Moreau scored the first goal of the day. Junior attacker Sami Carey assisted two goals and scored one of her own, achieving three points for the ‘Cats.

Three of the six freshmen starters on the field scored their first career goals in their first collegiate game against USC. To start off the freshmen show, attacker Sophia Corretjer landed Nova’s fifth goal of the day. Next was redshirt freshman midfielder Elena Torres. Finally, in the fourth quarter, midfielder Rose Christie scored a goal assisted by senior attacker Kayla Gulmi. Christie also won two draw controls and picked up a ground ball for the ‘Cats. 

“[The freshmen] bring so much speed to our game and a lot of opportunities,” Batcheller said. “They are incredible and fearless.”

The game was tied, 4-4, at the half. Nearly four minutes into the third quarter, an examination of Verhoest’s illegal stick stopped the game. Verhoest had tape on the top of her stick, and a new NCAA rule prohibits such advantages.  After Verhoest received a yellow card, the Trojans managed to score three goals against the ‘Cats in a mere two minutes. 

USC’s senior midfielder Claudia Shavitz scored four goals against ‘Nova on Sunday, coming off a powerful 2023 season after being named the PAC 12 Midfielder of the Year.

Pappas answered the USC raid by scoring four goals in the fourth quarter, three of which were unassisted. Pappas’ standout performance still wasn’t enough for the Wildcats to pull off a win for the season opener.

“I am looking forward to this team rebounding and continuing to show our speed of play,” Batcheller said.  “I am excited for another opportunity to play and rebound from this game.”

Villanova will play Bucknell University at home on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 12 p.m.