Students Should Get On-Campus Jobs

A+Holy+Grounds+barista+works+in+the+Connelly+Center+in+an+on-campus+job.+
Katelyn Van Mater / Villanovan Photography
A Holy Grounds barista works in the Connelly Center in an on-campus job.

Looking to make a little extra money? Consider applying for an on-campus job at Villanova. 

It is no secret that being a student can get pretty expensive at times. From buying textbooks to ordering DoorDash, to seeing concerts and going out with friends, everything can start to add up. Working part-time at Villanova is the perfect opportunity to gain some experience while also being able to chip away at some of those extra expenses.

Other than the more well-known jobs on campus, like VEMS member or a Holy Grounds barista, Villanova has many ways for students to get to work. Villanova’s jobs postings page currently lists more than 100 flexible, part-time jobs open for applications. These jobs vary widely in pay, scheduling and experience required, so there’s something for everyone. They also encompass a variety of departments and fields across campus.

Many of the jobs listed are in the academic departments, from Chemical Engineering to Geography and the Environment. These are perfect for students who want to get more involved and find some experience in their field of study, while also having the opportunity to meet experts in said field. 

Villanova also offers many services, programs and amenities to its students. As such, there are also many opportunities for students to work to help these things run smoothly. This includes the Art Gallery, the VSB Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurial, the Office of Education Abroad, UNIT, the Center for Resilient Water Systems, the Anne Welsh McNulty Institute for Women’s Leadership and even the Inn at Villanova. No matter where your interests lie, there’s an on-campus job posting listed there for you. Maybe one will even gain some relevant experience to boost one’s resume or make some important connections. And even if it is not specifically relevant experience, working while being a student teaches many skills that employers are always looking for, including communication and problem-solving skills.

Many students also worry about how to manage being a student while working. However, many of the jobs on campus are incredibly flexible with typical weekly hours of four to 10 hours, and a maximum of 20 hours a week. And unlike some off-campus jobs, Villanova supervisors remember that their employees are students first and are willing to be understanding and work with them to figure out the schedules for them. Working where you live also adds another level of ease, cutting down on transportation time and costs. And of course, being able to find the balance between worker and student also teaches another essential skill that future employers will love to see: time-management. 

Freshman Jess Hartley works as a scorekeeper for the intramural sports program. She emphasizes the convenience of Villanova’s on-campus work. 

“Having a job on campus has been a great opportunity to meet new people and make good use of my time,” Hartley said. “Being able to walk to work from dinner, my dorm or even class, has made being a student employee really accessible and convenient. Continuing my employment through the intramural team is definitely something I look forward to in my future at Villanova.”

In addition to helping people manage time, working as a student encourages financial responsibility. Many Villanova students previously worked summer or part-time jobs in their hometowns. But being here on campus by oneself and working for one’s own money is a different experience. While one probably won’t be making as much money working part-time hours here, it is still good practice for life after graduation. No matter how far away that may seem, it’s never too early to start.

So, if you have a few hours to spare each week and are ready to start covering some of those never-ending expenses while gaining experience, Villanova might have the perfect opportunity for you.