What does Black History Month Mean to Villanova Students?

Natalie Zickel/Villanovan Digital
Villanova is holding many events to commemorate Black History Month on campus.

Black History Month is an annual observance in honor of Black people’s legacies, achievements and adversities throughout history. Originating in 1926 when Carter G. Woodson and the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History established the first Negro History Week, the holiday gained momentum. In 1976, the United States officially designated February as Black History Month. 

In 2024, the Black History Month theme is “African Americans and the Arts,” focusing on African Americans in performing arts, literature, film and fashion. Notable figures include Gwendolyn Brooks, Kerry James Marshall, Elizabeth Keckley and Ethel Waters. 

Brooks, the first African American Pulitzer-winning poet, explored themes of race and identity in her literary works. Marshall’s paintings offer perspective on Black identity in America and Keckley’s journey from being enslaved to making a living as a fashion designer demonstrates Black resilience. Waters, an actress and singer, broke racial barriers with her performances. Together, these individuals and so many more illustrate the impact of African Americans on shaping culture and inspiring new art forms. 

“Black History Month is very special to me,” Villanova Black Student Union member Sidney Mbah said. “I appreciate the love and respect that amazing Black people get during this month. It teaches me more about the incredible feats that people I share similarities with have done and this empowers me and gives me the strength to tackle obstacles I face in my life.” 

At Villanova, Black History Month is celebrated through a variety of activities to explore Black culture, history and accomplishments. The events being held throughout February range from lectures and panel discussions to film screenings and dance classes.

Villanova hosted a Black History Community Dance Class on Feb. 9, organized by LASO and Emanuel “Manny” Chacon and co-sponsored by The Superlative, Wazobia and Ablaze. Upcoming events include an Author Visit by Dr. Dionne Irving on Feb. 19 at 5 p.m. in Falvey Library Speaker’s Corner and the ACS concert series on Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. in St. Thomas of Villanova Church.

“Events like these are so important for campus community,” Student Jason Anthony said. “They bring people together, they create space for open dialogue and respect and they sometimes inspire social change.” 

By participating in Black History Month, individuals can expand their knowledge of Black individuals and their experiences. Encouraging a deeper understanding of diverse experiences contributes to a more inclusive and equitable society. 

“As a young Black woman, I find inspiration in the narratives of those who have overcome adversity and blazed trails throughout history,” Villanova Black Student Union member McKenzie Ohene said. “This inspiration fuels a desire to contribute to positive change and amplify the voices of marginalized communities. Embracing this month provides an opportunity to reflect, learn and take pride in the rich culture of the Black experience.”