VillaVogue : The Grammys 2024 Recap

The 2024 Grammys had many different styles on display.
Hayden Karnes/Villanovan Digital
The 2024 Grammy’s had many different styles on display.

On Sunday, Feb. 4 in Los Angeles California, the famous red carpet rolled out and the 66th annual Grammy Award ceremony commenced. Airing live on CBS, the Grammy Awards were hosted by comedian and former “Daily Show” host Trevor Noah for the fourth year in a row.

The event featured performances by Joni Mitchell, U2, Billy Joel, Billie Eilish, a surprise duet of “Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs and many more acts.

Taylor Swift made Grammy Award history, winning Album of the Year for Midnights and even announced her upcoming album release, The Tortured Poets Department set to release on Apr. 19. Miley Cyrus took home her first Grammy for Record of the Year for her song “Flowers” and Victoria Monet won Best New Artist.

These artists put immense dedication into expressing their thoughts and emotions in every piece they write, play or vocalize. While this is music’s biggest night of the year, the stars truly shine with their outfit choice for the night. Before the musical recognition inside the venue, the artists walked with purpose and elegance down the trail of red velvet.

Each year uncovers a new magnitude of bold, unique and chic. The dress code is simple: express yourself. These artists are all unique in their sound, and it’s easy to forget that these ceremonies give them a chance to reveal their style. Known for their music, remembered for their fashion.

Below, see the tasteful looks on the red carpet at the 2024 Grammy Awards.

Dua Lipa– Shining through in her Courreges long-sleeve gown, Dua Lipa wore a style inspired by Joan of Arc. The dress was fully covered in metal fringe sequins, heavy to bare, yet astonishing. Her gown had a deep V-neck with two smaller cutouts on her hips, matched with pointy silver heels. Dua’s flashy accessory preference was an 18k yellow gold gem-encrusted fish necklace and matching cuff with orange sapphires, padparadscha sapphires, rubellites and diamonds from Tiffany & Co.

Taylor Swift– Before making history by winning Album of the Year for the fourth time, Taylor Swift impressed spectators with her stunning white strapless Schiaparelli gown. Her dress was coupled with a simple pair of black opera gloves that reached to her shoulders. She wore several accessories, including a vintage Lorraine Schwartz watch that was turned into a choker, appearing to be set at midnight. Swift added about 300 carats of Lorraine Schwartz Diamonds in the six chains on her necklace and a heavy red lip to finish off her elegant, yet bold look.

Janelle Monáe– Singer and rapper Janelle Monáe did not take “dress to impress” lightly. The shimmering black sequins covering her Giorgio Armani Privé gown were simply

head-turners. The dress was decorated with a trim of silver beads down the deep V-neck and floral accents of black and silver crystals along the waistline.

Olivia Rodrigo– Perfectly capturing a 90s look in a vintage Versace gown, singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo was glowing on the red carpet. The red and white crystal-embellished gown originally debuted in 1995 on Linda Evangelista; it was beautifully worn then and beautifully modeled now by Rodrigo. She accessorized with red and silver earrings, a powerful red lip and her hair was delicately curled down to her side.

Coco Jones– Beaming on her arrival, Coco Jones wore a shimmering Celia Kritharioti gown. The dress featured a deep V-neck, revealing a Swarovski x SKIMS body chain. She wore dangling earrings paired with her baby blue dress. Her hair was swept up in a classy updo, exhibiting her simply glowing makeup.

Lana Del Rey– Lana Del Ray wore a floral black dress, with a heavy accent on her puffed sleeves and a coquette bow in her hair. Her shoes were black, each with a sweet bow attached to the tip, similar to her matching gloves, also accessorized with little bows. She carried a black purse and wore Fred Leighton jewels. Lana’s hair bangs were curled to complete the look. Simply chic.

Yes, taking an elegant yet sophisticated route on the red carpet is always a definite hit. However, several artists chose to stand out above all, choosing attire that not only stood out but that many spectators questioned. Now, let’s take a look at some of the most unique looks of the night.

Miley Cyrus– Dressed bold and gold, Miley Cyrus took a striking initiative for this year’s Grammy ceremony, wearing a dress completely made out of safety pins. Winning the first Grammy of her career for her song “Flowers” and topping it off with a show-stopping performance, Cyrus swept the crowd away with her music and her attire. Pulling off five outfit changes in the entire night, her red carpet debut gown was arguably the most compelling. Nearly all of her skin was exposed in her mesh gown by John Galliano for Maison Margiela. She added a beloved 70s hairstyle that resembled her godmother, Dolly Parton, teased up high, paired with her Tiffany & Co. Jewelry. Cyrus topped off her golden look with matching gold Tabi heels. 

Billie Eilish– A “red carpet regular” and one of the youngest music stars attending the Grammys, singer-songwriter Billie Eilish took to the carpet confidently in an oversized Barbie vintage varsity jacket with up-cylced details reworked by Chrome hearts. Underneath the main component of her outfit, she chose a Willy Chavarria white button-up with a black tie and wide-leg black pants. Her platform boots conformed with the color coordination of her outfit. Her red and black hair added an extra flair of color to the overall look. Eilish’s song “What Was I Made For?” from the film, Barbie, continues to be rewarded with honors, and she even performed it live at the ceremony. While the style she sported may be unique from typical red carpet looks, it truly honored her purpose in attending the show.

Ice Spice– Not holding back for her first Grammy Awards, singer-songwriter Ice Spice arrived on the carpet wearing a completely custom Baby Phat gown. This style is rooted in hip-hop culture and influenced women’s streetwear in the 2000s. Kimora Lee Simmons was appointed president and creative director for Phat Fashions, which includes Baby Phat, becoming one of the first women of color ever to preside over a stable of fashion brands. The brand has been worn by celebrities like Missy Elliot, Jennifer Lopez and many other women of color and praised for its celebration of Black Identity and style. Decked out in a fully denim look, Ice Spice wore a denim jacket lined with fur and a matching denim skirt that trailed behind her with every step. Her goal was to bring Baby Phat the presence it deserves on a stage as prominent as the Grammy’s. The chatter surrounding her outfit throughout the night is an indicator that she succeeded in just that.

Doja Cat– Catching everyone by surprise, singer and rapper Doja Cat arrived in designer Dilara Findikoglu, making it abundantly clear for everyone to see, as the designer’s name was tattooed on her forehead in a Gothic font near her hairline. She wore a sheer gown that was revealing enough to flaunt temporary tattoos all over her body. The back of the dress had a trail of corset boning and draping down her spine to the floor. She wore thick red wedge heels, pairing well with her red lips and Prada glasses as an added touch. She wore a cross necklace to finish off the look with a silver jewelry complement, with matching silver sword earrings and an assortment of rings. Despite the praise she received for being expressive and unique, Doja also received criticism for her daring choices and lack of modesty.