Softball Looks to Build Upon Success in 2024 Campaign

The Wildcats finished last season with a 37–22 overall record and Big East Championship appearance.

In 2024, Villanova softball is aiming for Big East redemption.

The Wildcats concluded their 2023 season (37–22 overall, 18–6 Big East) last May with a disappointing 6-1 loss to Seton Hall in the conference championship.

Now, they enter the new year having earned the first-place slot in the Big East preseason poll.

“The biggest thing is just maintaining what we’ve already built,” sixth-year head coach Bridget Orchard said. “We’re not forgiving the loss, but using it as fuel to get us back this year. They have super high expectations and I think the fact that we lost last year is motivating them.”

Villanova will open Big East play at home on March 8 against Seton Hall. Until the anticipated rematch, the team will prepare with a challenging non-conference stretch to strengthen a lineup of numerous seasoned players and promising new Wildcats.

Three Villanova veterans will be returning for a fifth season: first baseman Victoria Sebastian, third baseman Chloe Smith and catcher Ally Jones. All three were present for the Wildcats’ back-to-back Big East titles in 2021 and 2022. Both Jones and Sebastian’s performances last season earned them places on the All-Big East Second Team.

“[The returners] are what I’m most looking forward to,” Orchard said. “They can mentor the freshmen and sophomores, and they know the program and what it takes.”

Four seniors will also lead the Wildcats in 2024. Outfielder Tess Cites returns after earning 2023 Big East Player of the Year honors, finishing last season with a .474 batting average in 24 conference games. Cites, along with junior infielder Ava Franz, received All-Big East First Team honors in 2023.

Joining the roster in 2024 are four members in the freshman class: infielder Grace Reed, outfielder Elizabeth Gray, catcher Mackenzie Waghorn and pitcher and first baseman Maranda Runco.

“It’s tough because [the freshmen] are stepping into a team with a lot of upperclassmen,” Orchard said. “But all four of them should get some opportunities and they’re going to be a great addition.”

Much of Villanova’s previous success came from the strength of its pitching staff. According to Orchard, sophomore Kat Gallant, senior Caroline Pellicano and junior Kelsey White will form a trio of starters in the circle. Gallant placed on the All-Big East Second Team after just her first year with the ‘Cats.

New talent is also arriving to the coaching staff in 2024. In September, Grace Fagan joined the program as pitching coach. Fagan brings SEC expertise to Villanova after five seasons of pitching at Mississippi State.

The ‘Cats will start the spring season with intense competition at the Buzz Classic in Atlanta, GA. Villanova will open on Feb. 8 with a double-header against Georgia Tech and Alabama, which was ranked No. 14 on the NCAA preseason poll. On Feb. 9, Villanova will face Longwood and Georgia Tech and play a final game against Longwood on Feb. 10.

“We’re really excited for the first series and playing Power Fives right from the get-go,” Orchard said. “With every hit we get, run we score and pitcher who strikes batters out, we’re looking for individual success that will lead to team success.”

After traveling south for three more tournaments in Harrisonburg, VA, Durham, NC and Tampa, FL, the Wildcats will open the conference schedule at home against Seton Hall.