Trump Wins New Hampshire Primary

Courtesy of Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
“America’s Future: A Conversation with Nikki Haley” highlighted Haley’s political background, take on the midterm election, opinion on ongoing issues around the world and future goals.

The 2024 race for the White House took a turn this past week following the results of the New Hampshire Republican primary. Former President Donald Trump defeated Nikki Haley and is currently in the lead to become the 2024 Republican nominee.  

Trump gained 163,700 votes, while Haley trailed with 129,646 as of Sunday. In addition, Trump secured 11 delegates and Haley obtained eight delegates,  

In response to his victory in New Hampshire, Trump drew attention to Haley.

“Let’s not have someone take a victory when she had a very bad night,” Trump said. “Just a little note to Nikki: She’s not going to win.” 

Despite two losses in both Iowa and New Hampshire, Haley has pledged to remain in the race through the South Carolina primary on Feb. 24. Haley served as the governor of South Carolina from 2011 to 2017. During her tenure, she led South Carolina to become known as the “Beast of the Southeast,” with a record-low unemployment rate and an increase in capital investment. Despite these accomplishments, Haley’s fight to win her home state’s vote will be a challenge due to Trump’s growing support in the South.  

“This race is far from over,” Haley said, following the closing of the polls in New Hampshire. “There are dozens of states left to go. And the next one is my sweet state of South Carolina.”  

During her appearance on Meet the Press this past Sunday, Haley suggested that the primary results in South Carolina would not be the sole deciding factor in her decision to stay in the race. However, she explained that her results needed to show improvement from her finish in New Hampshire. 

“I need to show that I’m building momentum,” Haley stated on NBC’s Meet the Press. “I don’t think that necessarily has to be a win, but it certainly has to be better than what I did in New Hampshire.”

Following his victories in Iowa and New Hampshire, Trump has garnered strong support from past competitors and influences within the Republican Party. Former GOP candidates Vivek Ramaswamy and Tim Scott appeared at Trump’s New Hampshire rally and spoke highly of him to a crowd of voters. Additionally, Ron DeSantis announced his endorsement of Trump in response to his withdrawal of the Republican primary prior to the New Hampshire primary.  

“It’s clear to me that a majority of Republican primary voters want to give Donald Trump another chance,” DeSantis said, following his withdrawal from the Republican primary. “Trump is superior to the current incumbent, Joe Biden. That is clear. I signed a pledge to support the Republican nominee, and I will honor that pledge.”  

Although Trump was able to capture the support of both voters and Republican politicians during the New Hampshire primary, Biden won the Democratic primary. Due to an unprecedented write-in campaign led by Democratic leaders in New Hampshire, Biden was able to capture many votes in the Granite State.  

It is now clear that Donald Trump will be the Republican nominee,” Biden announced after Trump’s victory. “And my message to the country is the stakes could not be higher.” 

Trump and Haley will look to face off once more in South Carolina in the upcoming month in the battle to gain the 2024 GOP nomination.