Villanova Escapes Georgetown in OT, 53-51

Junior guard Lucy Olsen scored 28 in the Wildcat win.

Villanova scraped by Georgetown in overtime at the Finneran Pavilion Wednesday afternoon, 53-51. The win improves the Wildcats to 10-5 overall and 3-1 in Big East play.

The game was a low-scoring affair, with the two teams needing overtime to break 50 points. Junior guard Lucy Olsen led the way for the ‘Cats with 28 points and nine rebounds. Senior guard Bella Runyan and junior guard Kaitlyn Orihel both chipped in eight points.

The ‘Cats scored single-digit points in both the first and fourth quarters, with 10 points in those two quarters combined. Fortunately for the ‘Cats, the Hoyas were also limited on offense, as they didn’t produce more than 12 points in a quarter. 

Poor shooting was to blame for the slow offensive day. Villanova shot 31.3% from the field and 31.6% from three on the afternoon. Georgetown shot 32.8% from the field and 30.8% from beyond the arc. 

The two teams went into the fourth quarter with Villanova leading, 40-33. The ‘Cats scored twice in the fourth. They would not score over the final 7:55. The drought allowed the Hoyas to go on a prolonged 6-0 run to tie the game at 44. Both teams had multiple chances to find a decisive bucket over the final 2:55, but the ‘Cats and the Hoyas continued to come up empty. 

Runyan had an opportunity to end the game on a drive with under five seconds to play, but her layup rolled off the iron as time expired.

Villanova found a bit more offensive success in overtime, moving ahead when Olsen was fouled on a made jumper. She converted the and-one opportunity to put the ‘Cats up, 51-49. The Hoyas would bring the game back to a tie at 51 with a layup, but the ‘Cats went 1-2 from the free throw line in two trips to give themselves a 53-51 lead. The Hoyas had a chance to win the game with a heave from around half court on the final possession, but the shot hit the front of the rim.

The ‘Cats will be in action again on Saturday, Jan. 13 for a game against Butler (8-6, 0-3 Big East) at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 P.M.