Professor Spotlight: Dr. Erinn Lauterbach

Political science can be intimidating for many students, especially those unfamiliar with the field. Some may assume there is no reason to take a political science class if one is not interested in it for a major or minor. However, this does not have to be the case. Villanova political science professor Erinn Lauterbach strives to make her students more active, engaged and informed citizens.

Lauterbach had not always planned on being a professor, but a series of events led her to this goal. While she had always been interested in politics, like many of us, she originally only saw it as campaigns and elections.

“One of the semesters I studied abroad I did a semester in British parliament,” Lauterbach said. “That’s when I understood that political science was more than just elections, that it was also government. I saw that the government could help people and I got really excited about it.”

After having the opportunity to see the inner workings of the British government, Lauterbach shared that her interest in American government had heightened. 

“American government is much more open and accessible than British government,” she said. “For example, you can hop on a train to D.C. and go to the House office building. All you have to do is go through security and all of the offices of the members of Congress are there. You probably will not speak with the representative directly, but someone from the office will talk to you. In British Parliament, you cannot do that.”

Learning morsels of interesting information like this is common in Lauterbach’s classes, and this is by design. Her goal is not just to prepare students for tests and assignments, but to spark their interest in political science and government. One of Lauterbach’s classes this semester is American Government, which is one of the foundational political science courses offered at Villanova. 

“In an intro class, you’re likely to come into contact with students who are taking the class because it fulfills a requirement,” she said. “Just getting people to know enough to participate in American politics is the biggest impact I can make as a professor.” 

Villanova’s goal is to create well-rounded individuals, and having professors who turn students’ attention to the world outside of the Villanova bubble is incredibly important. Whether it’s by discussing recent Congressional happenings at the start of class, offering students stamps if they need them to vote or sharing possible career options in various areas of government, Lauterbach’s classes always maintain relevance to current events. 

“I don’t care who you vote for,” Lauterbach said.  “But, if I can get someone who has never voted before to vote, that is very exciting.”

In addition to American Government, Dr. Lauterbach is teaching two other courses next semester. Her favorite course, which she refers to as her “bread and butter,” is U.S. Congress. She shared an interactive project students take on in this course which is a perfect example of how class content relates to the real world. 

“Each student picks a member of the U.S. House of Representatives that they will ‘staff’ for the semester and there’s a sequence of projects where they do things they would do as a staffer in a Congressional office,” Lauterbach said.  “Examples include writing a letter to a constituent or assignments around committee jurisdiction.” 

Lauterbach said that students taking this class can expect to gain valuable insight that will be helpful in a range of jobs. Even if one does not want to work in Congress, knowing how it functions is helpful for working under the executive, as a lobbyist or for those interested in law school. 

She is also teaching a topical political science course called Constitution and Criminal Procedure. It focuses on several amendments and how the interpretation of law impacts people. Students explore a variety of topics that affect Americans’ lives.

Villanova has so many great professors, and a common theme is their dedication to students’ success both in and out of the classroom. Lauterbach’s commitment to her work and willingness to share her expertise is incredibly admirable.