Special Olympics Reinvents the Victory Jamboree

Courtesy of Annie Snyder
Victory Jamboree took place on Saturday night of Fall Festival.

Over the course of this weekend, Villanova welcomed thousands of athletes, coaches and volunteers to campus for competition and celebration events. One event, the Victory Jamboree, was back and better than ever for Fall Fest 2023.  

The Victory Jamboree took place on Saturday evening of Fall Fest and was an opportunity for athletes to celebrate the past two days of competition and fun. The event was previously called Victory Dance, but was rebranded last year. In addition to a dance floor and a DJ, it featured crafts, bingo and a movie to ensure there were options for everyone.

According to the members of the Entertainment Committee, the group in charge of the Victory Jamboree, the event had undergone further changes to make it more inclusive. Previous Victory Jamborees have taken place in the Finneran Pavilion and the Connelly Center. 

“We couldn’t use the Finn this year,” junior Colin Nemeth, who spearheaded plans for the event, said. “Conn did not work out that well. It is not very accessible because there are a lot of stairs and only one elevator. We thought the best idea would be outside.”

This year, the event was held on Mendel Field, with two large tents to host the festivities. 

“One tent [had] the dancing and [was] more high-sensory,” junior Leah Jones said. “The crafts and bingo [were] in the lower sensory tent. The separation help[ed] make sure [it was] not overwhelming.”

This change was made to improve the event’s inclusivity, building on last year’s progress. With the new design, athletes could stay in the tent they preferred or switch between them. 

In addition to the Victory Jamboree, the Entertainment Committee also planned O-Town, where dozens of booths were set up in the Quad. These booths featured crafts, games and other activities. The committee handled a range of tasks, and the members relished the opportunity to collaborate and come up with innovative ideas.

“The Entertainment Committee is a really creative committee,” Nemeth said. “It also has a very dynamic vibe to it. You can crunch the numbers and sign-ups, or you can work on painting and drawing. There’s a big range of things we do.”

“Something I really like about our committee is that we all have different strengths and they all bounce off each other very well,” sophomore Nicholas Grieco said. “Our committee has big responsibilities to come up with ideas, so it’s nice that we can all build on each other.”

The broad scope of the committee means each member has an opportunity to make a difference. 

“I would say my favorite part about entertainment is that we put so much planning in, but once the events start, they essentially run themselves,” Jones said. “Sure, there might be little things to figure out, but mostly we get to enjoy it with the athletes and make connections. You’re not only behind the scenes, you’re also there in the moment.”

The Entertainment Committee agreed that the special moments throughout the weekend make all of the hard work worth it. Members emphasized that anyone interested in getting more involved with Fall Fest next year should “go for it.”

“Even though I walked into this position knowing nothing about what I was doing, I felt so supported,” sophomore Natalia Rodal said. “Even if you just want to show up the day-of, you will be able to help.”

Check out @villanovaspecialolympics on Instagram and the website, novaspo.org, for more information.