CLAS Hosts Annual Majors Fair

The annual Majors Fair took place on Friday, Oct. 20, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. It was located in tents set out in front of the Connelly Center. 

The Office of Undergraduate Students sponsors this event each year for students part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) to explore their interests and see what fits them best. As a large program with extremely diversified interests, CLAS is home to more than 50 majors, ranging from communication to astrophysics. Those in attendance were able to wander around the tables and see all of the unique programs that Villanova has to offer. 

Students can often feel overwhelmed by the wealth of choices, and the Majors Fair attempts to combat just that. By providing a tangible display of options, students can really weigh their choices and make decisions if they have been struggling with finding their place on campus. 

Faculty, staff and student representatives were all in attendance. They were able to advertise and provide testimonies about their experiences within particular majors. Additionally, poster boards and small prizes created a festive atmosphere that got students excited about all of Villanova’s options. 

Senior Comprehensive Science student, Katie Farmer, was one of the student volunteers advocating for her major. She commented on the significance of the Majors Fair.

“It’s important so that people can find out about majors or minors they might be unfamiliar with,” Farmer said.

“Comprehensive science is not a well-known or understood major, so I love getting to talk to people about it and explain exactly what it is,” Farmer said. “Especially because of how diverse the degree is, there are so many opportunities for jobs.”

Another volunteer with the Gender and Women’s Studies Department expressed his gratitude for the exceptional liberal arts programs at Villanova.

“It is so great to see students come out and learn about this program because I feel like it gets overlooked,” the volunteer said. “I went to the Majors Fair as a sophomore, and it really helped me decide what I wanted to pursue and I hope that I can help other students who are also struggling with what they want to study.”

The Majors Fair is a critical point of the semester for first year liberal arts and science students. The Villanovan spoke to freshmen about their experience at the Majors Fair, with a general consensus of a positive outlook on the event’s impact.

“Basically, I am an undecided student so it’s good to see all of the options,” one freshman said.

“Everyone was super helpful and made this experience exciting,” another said. 

The kindness and knowledge of student representatives and faculty was also a common theme, with many students observing the outpour of passion for their studies to those in attendance.

“Everyone here is so nice and inviting,” one freshman said. “ I spoke with probably 20 different tables because I have literally no idea what I want to do, and they were all great. The enthusiasm from everyone working the tables was awesome and I really appreciated them being able to talk about possible jobs you could get with each major in the future. The ‘real world’ function is what I am most worried about, so it definitely puts my mind at ease.”

Overall, this year’s Majors Fair was extremely successful and had a positive impact on the student body. 

If you missed the fair, Villanova’s website houses all of the majors and minors available and your academic advisors are always willing to help you get in touch with program representatives to find what is right for you.