Mail-in Voting Explainer

Brian Luppy
Political science students have been discussing former President Trump’s investigations.

With the 2023 election cycle right around the corner, now is the time to ensure your voter registration is up to date and that you are eligible to vote on Nov. 7. Every student at Villanova is able to register to vote in Pennsylvania, and it is highly encouraged that students do so. 

Pennsylvania is one of the largest swing states in the nation, meaning that, from year to year, the state goes back and forth between being a red or blue state. With many students coming to Villanova from established voting habit states, it is critical that students vote here in order to make their voices heard even louder.

By living on campus, every Villanovan has an address, enabling them to vote. What many students do not know is that you have to update your address each year, due to different residence halls being in different counties. “Let’s Vote Nova” is a student organization, which works to ensure that students are educated and registered to vote for each election. According to “Let’s Vote Nova,” “Villanova’s mission statement calls for a community of people ‘who seek to nurture a concern for the common good and who share an enthusiasm for the challenge of responsible and productive citizenship.’”

“Let’s Vote Nova” not only helps students register to vote, but also promotes helpful advice for election day. Students should prepare to bring a photo identification such as a license or passport to vote, due to the change in voter registration. If students decides to vote in their home state, or will be unable to travel to the polls on election day, the last day to request a mail in ballot is Oct. 31, and by 5 p.m. on that day, the county must have the application in order to receive the mail in or absentee ballot. These mail-in ballots must be received by the county election office no later than 8 p.m. on election day. 

Students can register by going to the Office of Student Involvement, where “Let’s Vote Nova” has its office. They can also register online through the state of PA voter registration site. Students should make sure to pay close attention while registering, and reach out to “Let’s Vote Nova” with any questions.