Preview of Annual Majors Fair Happening 10/20

The Majors Fair is just around the corner, and will be taking place on Friday, October 20, from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Oreo.

The Majors Fair, an event offered by the Office of Undergraduate Students, allows students to pursue a variety of majors and minors to see what is their best fit. Professors and students will be offering insight on the majors and minors.

Each year, the Majors Fair Committee, comprised of students, picks a theme for the event to entice students. This year’s theme is, “Take a Trip Around the Majors to Choose Your Destination!” There will be food catering to represent different food cultures around the world. In addition, students will receive folders with a passport design to keep track of the tables they visit.

There will also be raffle prizes for students to enter upon arrival. The prizes range from Villanova merch to gift cards for local businesses.

The Villanovan spoke to the advisor of the Majors Fair Committee, Andrew Bove about the excitement of the event.

“I always look forward to the Majors Fair. It’s like a carnival where students can see the whole world of knowledge gathered in one place and have conversations that will help them make an informed decision about their academic path.”

Julia Amendola, the co-chair of the Majors Fair Committee, loves the work she does for preparing for the event each year.

“This is my second year working on the Majors Fair Committee,” she said. “Each year is better than the last. It is the perfect event for students who are unsure of what academic path they want to take for their future.”

A variety of professors and volunteer students show up each year to answer questions and requirements for completing the majors and minors.

Dr. Mike Tomko, chair of the humanities department, looks forward to speaking with the students each year.

“Majors Fair is always an opportunity to bring such hidden jewels, such as the humanities department, to light,” he said. “Especially for students who haven’t found their home at Villanova or feel that they are missing something.”

Tomko expressed that this event helps students find the variety of unique programs this university has to offer. The humanities department of course being his favorite to promote.

“I love telling people about this amazing interdisciplinary liberal arts degree that they only have at places like Notre Dame and Yale, but that we do it better here. I love telling students about the ways it can fulfill core requirements across the different colleges in ways they didn’t expect so they can do it as a double major or minor. I love telling them about the lineup of spring 2024 classes that they can get excited about,” he explained. “So, rain or shine, it is always a great event that reminds me of the unique goods that are available in a Villanova education and to share in the enthusiasm of students who are hungry to make the most of their time here.”

Whether the humanities program is of interest, or other unique and diverse programs, the Majors Fair provides exploration before making that difficult decision. It is also a bonus to enjoy food, music and the opportunity to win prizes.

The Majors Fair Committee is always looking for new members to help with event planning. For more information, please email Andrew Bove [email protected].