Move Over Meal Plan, It’s Time for Girl Dinner

Maggie Fitzgerald
Students eat their version of “girl dinner” with fixings from Dougherty Hall.

Aside from choreographing dances to perform for family and the excitement of a first crush, a universal female experience is “Girl Dinner.” The term was recently popularized across social media for naming a distinct female method of assembling dinner. “Girl Dinner,” put simply, could be anything and everything. A plate of rotisserie chicken with a side of pickles, a block of sharp cheddar and artisan crackers: “Girl Dinner.” A gigantic bowl of popcorn with peanut M&Ms or on especially hard days, a PB&J: “Girl Dinner.” There is no rhyme or reason to these meals, they’re simply an assortment of whatever sounds appealing assembled with a distinct air of femininity.

It’s no secret that the food at Villanova isn’t something to write home about, but not to worry, elegance is not a prerequisite for a  quality “Girl Dinner.” Should one be aspiring to participate in this trend here at Villanova, there are plenty of ingredients across campus that are prime for the picking. Some, like freshman Melanie Koch, have already found their unique Villanova-take on the viral dinner.

“My ‘Girl Dinner’ is mini vanilla ice creams [from Spit], but in a plastic cup mixed with root beer and with a straw and a spoon,” Koch said. “My to-go root beer float.”

If opting for something sweet like Koch, I would personally recommend a trip to the Pit cereal room. A giant bowl of raisin bran with sliced banana, questionable sun butter, chopped hershey kisses and chocolate pea milk is my “Girl Dinner” of choice at Villanova. However, if one is craving something more savory, the possibilities are endless.

Throughout their time at Villanova, sophomore Emma Hlousek and junior Ava Tower have curated their ideal “Girl Dinners.”

“Starting last year, I crafted the pea protein smoothie from ‘Sparket’ with the Sabra to-go packets of pretzels and hummus,” Hlousek said.

For many, the optimal “Girl Dinner” combination is something savory paired with something sweet. Tower has been around the school long enough to know the best places for said pairings on campus.

“My “Girl Dinner” is pita chips with hummus [from Pit],” Tower said. “Dessert would have to be a Second Story Twix ice cream bar.”

The possibilities for “Girl Dinners” are abundant, and the opportunity to partake in experience is open to all. Whether it’s an entire margherita pizza, a fancy spread of butter and bread or an assortment of delicious snacks, the bliss of “Girl Dinner” can be enjoyed by anyone.

Sophomore Meredith Depole gives her take on the latest trend.

“My definition of “Girl Dinner” is random foods that fill me up, taste good and bring me joy,” Depole said.