Students Weigh in on Election Day Atmosphere on Campus and Share Post-Election Worries

Courtesy of Sarah Jones

Students study between classes.

Viktoria Kall Staff Writer

​The 2020 presidential election has been one of the most highly anticipated events of not only the year, but arguably, the century. The race between former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump comes at a time of social, economic and political unrest occupying the United States. 

At a time when the concepts of unity and agreement sound foreign, Villanovans have sought to prove otherwise. No matter the political alignment or intended vote casted on their ballots, the University’s campus and social media campaigning have shown shared intentions of ample Villanovans to vote on Nov. 3. 

In addition to The CARITAS Commitment pledged by each and every student on campus this semester, other commitments, like our civil responsibility to vote, have been interpreted as equally important by students and staff alike, as Villanovans across campus showed their anticipation, and worry, for the presidential election.

“No one really knows what the outcome of the election is going to be, or what the aftermath will look like,” ​ junior Mark Rossi from Harrison, N.Y. said. “The complete uncertainty is arresting for some, and for others it engenders apathy. The only thing that is certain in the next few days is that America loses.” 

The idea of “America losing” is one that is supported by many, as many individuals throughout the nation are not completely satisfied with either of the two candidates.

This worrisome sentiment is shared by many, as numerous University students have similarly professed anxious feelings and worry about not just the outcome of the election itself, but also the civil unrest that could ensue in the days following. 

Claire Mullery, a junior Communication major from Kensington, Md., comparably shared feelings of distress. 

“The weeks leading up to presidential elections are always a tense time, but this year feels especially stressful with COVID-19 and the polarizing political views of people around us,” Mullery said.

“A lot of my friends and I have been saying that we’re nervous about the days and weeks after Election Day, no matter which candidate wins. There’s that scary thought of violence and chaos occurring no matter what the outcome will be. Even though it’s scary to think about, we know that Villanova is a safe place for us to be and we just hope the rest of the country will be able to emulate that to some extent.”

Will Corkhill, a junior from Wellesley, Mass., related to Mullery’s perspective and added, “I think people really understand the significance of this election, and Villanova has definitely done a good job at motivating students to get out there and vote. Even though this is a really divisive time for our country I think one thing everyone does agree on, at Villanova at least, is how important it is to go and vote. There’s definitely a lot of anticipation for November 3rd and everything that’s gonna come after it.”  

Whether one supported current President Trump or former Vice President Biden, the aforementioned “foreign” concept of unity is one that many Americans hope that the country will be able to experience again, this time with a heightened appreciation for it.