VillaVogue: Palace Skateboards

Chloe Miller
London company Palace Skateboards debuts a new elevated form of fashion in its style.

In the labyrinthine world of fashion, where conformity is the norm, one brand has dared to stand out, not by bending the rules, but by obliterating them. Palace Skateboards, hailing from the streets of London, is not just a brand. It’s a rebellion in clothing form. Fashion’s playbook be damned, because Palace has written its own script, and it’s nothing short of sensational. Sit tight, because we’re about to embark on a journey through the universe of Palace Skateboards, delving into its origin story, its iconic aesthetics and, most tantalizing, its trailblazing brand partnerships that have catapulted the streetwear brand as a leader in the collaborations arena.

The Palace Genesis:

Picture this: a motley crew of London skaters taking refuge in a squat flat near the legendary Southbank skate park, humorously christened “The Palace Wayward Boys’ Choir.” Among them was Lev Tanju, the visionary who would one day ignite the Palace phenomenon after deciding to start his own skate label, inspired by the camaraderie of his fellow skateboarders and the rebellious spirit of the Wayward Boys. From these unconventional roots, Palace Skateboards sprouted, and the rest is history.

Logo Mania:

In the pantheon of logos, the Palace emblem is a top contender. Crafted by the illustrious London illustrator Fergus Purcell, also known as “Fergadelic,” this logo isn’t just a mark; it’s an emblematic statement. Simplicity meets distinctiveness in this emblem, known affectionately as the “Tri-Ferg.” And when global icon Rihanna dons your emblem, you know you’ve struck gold.

The VHS Time Machine:

While the world was racing towards high-definition glory, Palace dared to rewind the clock. Its videos, steeped in the grainy nostalgia of the 90’s, were a masterstroke. Tanju’s reasoning? The raw, unfiltered essence of vintage footage, lost in the shiny embrace of modern tech. Palace’s videos allowed viewers to get lost in its “weekend escapades with the homies-esque” content, all captured on a wonky handycam to capture the raw essence of street skating.

The Well-Accomplished Mission:

Palace isn’t just a brand. It’s a band of brothers and sisters. Lev Tanju’s vision was simple: create a haven where friends could skate, unhindered by life’s encumbrances. This developed a sense of community, seemingly untouched by the bustle and hustle of reality, and resulted in a team of pro and kindred spirit skateboarders alike, all of whom basked in the glory of being part of the UK’s hippest skate crew.

Palace’s mission, however, goes far beyond threads and logos and challenges the status quo. The brand’s interests extended beyond fashion, delving into a highly documented love affair with music. Its rendezvous with the Trilogy Tapes, an independent London record label under the wizardry of Will Bankhead, is proof. Music and fashion merged into a delightful dance, leaving an indelible mark on Palace’s identity.

Palace’s Pioneering Partnerships (tongue twister intended):

Yes, I’m aware of the inverted triangle formula, you know, the method of exposing the most important information first to keep readers like yourself attentive and what-not. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for adhering to the hypothetical handbook of journalism, but the suspense this time around was killing me, too. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the pièce de resistance: Palace’s brand partnerships.

It all started with Palace’s connection with the venerated London Skate institution: Slam City Skates. Slam City was akin to striking gold in the streetwear mines, serving as the holy grail of endorsements for Palace as it added a layer of credibility that money could not buy.

After Slam City came brand partnerships with Umbro, Reebok, WWE and Crocs. From there, Palace x Gucci became the liaison of high fashion and streetwear, a lovechild of two seemingly contrasting worlds at the time. In an audacious move, Palace then ventured into the world of art, collaborating with the Tate Britain Gallery to create skate decks, blurring the lines between culture and counterculture. And, of course, we couldn’t award Palace the collaboration crown without its completion of the trifecta of European sportswear – a feat acquired through its partnership with Adidas Originals to pay homage to football heritage through clothing and shoe wear.

Brands have often proven to come and go. Markets grow oversaturated and competition even more so. We are living in a time ruled by trends and fads often mistaken for closet staples before being tossed to the wayside. Not Palace. Over time, the skate institution has weathered the test of time through every marketing effort. Don’t believe me? Take a look at Palace’s recent rendezvous with the fast-food giant, “PALACE MCDONALDS,” a whirlwind romance that spawned a collection spanning T-Shirts, hoodies and skateboard decks alike – with a side of fries, of course.

Fresh off a hearty McDonald’s collab, Palace came back running with Salomon’s XT-Wings 2 Sneaker on Sept. 1, 2023. As teased, the Palace x Solomon arrives in two classic black and white schemes and a colorful tongue bearing Palace’s name. And if this recent partnership wasn’t enough, the omni-present corporate colossus launched a clothing line with Carhartt just this past Friday, Sept. 15, which was honestly my initial inspiration for this piece, now that I think of it. You’re welcome.

***

With each partnership, Palace Skateboards has not just redefined the rules but torn them asunder. It has elevated collaborations to an art form, proving that in the kaleidoscope of fashion, there’s no such thing as a “standard procedure.” As Palace’s marketing mavericks continue to rewrite the playbook, one thing is clear: there better be fat Christmas bonuses this year.