Football Suffers 48–14 Loss Against UCF

Brian Luppy
Villanova surrendered 600 yards of total offense to the Knights.

The Wildcats flew south Saturday to take on the University of Central Florida Knights, taking the loss, 48–14. The game marks Villanova’s first defeat of the season, leaving the team with a 2–1 record. 

The Knights proved a challenging opponent for both the Wildcat offense and defense. The game marked the Wildcats’ annual competition against a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) team, a division higher than Villanova and its FCS status.

After setting a personal 310-yard passing best last week against Colgate, graduate quarterback Connor Watkins faced greater opposition on the Florida turf. He completed just nine passes on 23 attempts for 144 total passing yards against a stout Knight defense.

Backup quarterback and redshirt sophomore Timmy McClain led the Knights. In his debut game for UCF, McClain tallied 349 passing yards and two touchdowns against the Villanova defense.

The host team got on board in the first ten minutes, knocking in a 24-yard field goal to finish their opening drive. UCF continued to put points on the board, adding two more touchdowns to end the first quarter with a 17–0 lead. The Villanova offense could not get any momentum going, earning just 38 offensive yards in the first half.

The onslaught continued in the second and third quarters, with UCF putting the game well out of reach. The Wildcats struggled to get past the 50-yard line until the third quarter.

The score entering the fourth quarter stood 41-0. 

Early in the final quarter, Watkins put the Wildcats on board with a three-yard rushing touchdown. The scoring drive included a 35-yard pass to graduate running back DeeWil Barlee and a 10-yard completion to graduate wide receiver Rayjuon Pringle.

The Wildcats scored again with less than five minutes to go, bolstered by a 45-yard fourth down completion to sophomore wide receiver Jaylan Sanchez. Graduate running back TD Ayo-Durojaiye took care of the remaining eleven yards, rushing to score his first touchdown of the season.

Senior linebacker Brendan Bell and sophomore cornerback Devon Marshall led the Wildcat defense throughout the game, each tallying nine tackles. Graduate safety Elijah Glover marked a season-high eight tackles.

The game was Villanova’s first time facing UCF since 2006.

Next week, Villanova will begin conference play as the Wildcats return home to take on Rhode Island (2-1) on Sept. 23 at Villanova Stadium.