Volleyball Goes 3-0 at Penn and Delaware Tournament

Volleyball improved to 7-2 with three wins over the week. Courtesy of Villanova Athletics

Villanova’s volleyball team went 3-0 this past week, with big wins against Penn, Delaware and Rider University. The team’s undefeated weekend now brings the Wildcats to a 7-2 record on the season.

On Wednesday, Sept. 6th, the Wildcats took on the Quakers, winning, 3-2. After a tight loss in the first set, going 23-25, the ‘Cats bounced back to win the second and third sets, 25-17 and 25-18. Penn took the fourth set, 21-25, forcing the match to a fifth and final set, where the ‘Cats secured a 15-9 set and won the match.

“Penn was definitely our toughest match, but we are glad to have gotten a win there,” head coach Josh Steinbach said.

Sophomore Skylar Gerhardt was a major asset to the team, totaling sixteen kills and two aces against the Quakers. Senior Riley Homer also added eleven kills and three blocks.

Following the Penn match, the ‘Cats took on the Blue Hens, sweeping them in three sets, 25- 16, 25-19 and 25-16.

“We played our best volleyball against Delaware,” Steinbach said. “We liked this match and it set us up well for our match against Rider.”

Senior Kiera Booth and freshman Abby Harrell helped move the ‘Cats to victory with 11 kills and three blocks each throughout the match.

The final match of the weekend was against Rider, where the Wildcats won again in straight sets, going 26-24, 25-20 and 25- 18.

“Rider played very well, and this match was a learning experience for us,” Steinbach said. “I am hoping we grow from this experience.”

Harrell proved to be a game leader again for Villanova with nine kills, one ace and two blocks. Gerhardt also had a strong match with five kills, an ace and one block, while senior Madeline Barber chipped in with seven kills and two blocks.

“Having Harrell and Gerhardt on the team has been our biggest change since last year,” Steinbach said. “Our team quality has increased tremendously with these two.”

With a successful weekend behind them, Villanova will now gear up to face Lehigh on Wednesday, Sept. 13th.

“Lehigh is fired up to play us, but we are going to do our best,” Steinbach said.

The Wildcats will also host the Villanova Classic on Friday, Sept. 15th and Saturday, Sept. 16th, where it will be playing against Sacred Heart and Saint Francis.

“We are excited to be back in Nevin playing Sacred Heart and Saint Francis this upcoming weekend,” Steinbach said. “The Villanova crowd is always the best.”