Villanova Football Looks Ahead to UCF

Brian Luppy/Villanovan Photography
Head coach Mark Ferrante huddles with the team in its Saturday win over Colgate.

The only time Villanova has ever played the University of Central Florida in football was in 2006. It was the first year of the renaming of Division 1-AA to the Football Championship Subdivision. UCF was in the Conference USA. UCF walked away with the victory fairly comfortably, 35-16.

Needless to say, a lot has changed in the 17 years and 11 days since the ‘Cats last met UCF. The Knights have been in three different conferences in those 17 years, including their realignment to the Big XII this season. UCF claimed a national championship in 2017 after going through the season undefeated, though it only finished 12th in the College Football Playoff Rankings that season.

But what hasn’t changed in those 17 years? Change is the blueprint to pull an upset as an FCS team walking into an FBS stadium. How does David beat Goliath in collegiate football? It makes some noise on special teams and takes care of the football.

The Associated Press’ account of Villanova’s 2006 loss remarked that Villanova had the edge in total yardage, 322-204. It also pointed out that the ‘Cats shot themselves in the foot with two missed field goals and an interception.

Villanova is 4-15 in games against FBS opponents since 1999, three of its victories came against Temple. One in 2018, one in 2009 and one in 2003, with the other coming against Rutgers in 2002.

Only one of Villanova’s losses against FBS opponents since 1999 has been in overtime. The ‘Cats battled in a two-overtime loss to Syracuse in a game in which the Orange’s starting quarterback, AJ Long, was ejected late into the second quarter.

Poppy Livers returned a Syracuse punt 67 yards for a touchdown with 2:34 left in the third quarter. The ‘Cats had a chance at a 25-yard game-winning field goal with 12 seconds left, but Chris Gough pushed the kick wide-right. The game went to overtime and Syracuse overpowered the ‘Cats, winning, 27-26.

This blueprint must be applied for Villanova to have a shot at taking down the Knights. UCF will be starting its backup quarterback, redshirt sophomore Timmy McClain after graduate quarterback John Rhys Plumlee went down with an injury in the Knights’ game against Boise State. That gives the ‘Cats much more of a chance to pull off the upset.

The ‘Cats will also need to balance their air and ground games in order to be successful in Orlando. Villanova has put together good performances on the ground against Lehigh and Colgate, but has yet to see the two games working in tandem. The defense will also need to step up, as UCF has averaged 626.5 yards of total offense across its first two games, although with its starting quarterback. While the defense has performed well through the first two games of the season, it will face a major step up in offensive firepower from its previous Patriot League opponents.

The game is scheduled for a 6:30p.m. kickoff in Orlando at FBC Mortgage Stadium. It will be broadcast on ESPN 3.