Villanova Tops Lehigh 38-10 for Seventh Consecutive Season Opening Win

Jalen Jackson became the first Villanova player since 1947 to rush for at least 140 yards on eight or fewer carries.

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Villanova won its season opener against Lehigh at Goodman Stadium Saturday afternoon 38-10, giving the Wildcats a 1-0 start to the season. Graduate running back Jalen Jackson became the first Villanova running back since 1947 to have 140 yards or more on eight or fewer carries. He would finish with 144 yards and two touchdowns on the afternoon on just eight carries, all in the first half. Graduate running back DeeWil Barlee also broke 100 yards rushing on the afternoon, accruing 102 yards on 11 attempts.

“I can’t take all the credit for it,” Jackson said postgame of his performance. “My big guys up front, the guys in the trenches, they don’t get enough credit when running backs have games like this. I’m just excited for them, and I know they’re excited for me.” 

Graduate quarterback Connor Watkins finished the game with 119 yards, two touchdowns, both to Rayjuon Pringle, and an interception. Sophomore linebacker Shane Hartzell led the defense with seven tackles.

It’s also head coach Mark Ferrante’s seventh consecutive win in a season opener.

Lehigh started the game with a surprise onside kick that it would recover to give itself the ball. The Mountain Hawks would then go three-and-out on the game’s opening drive. It served as a warning sign for the Mountain Hawks that offensive production would be a struggle against the Wildcats.

Villanova found success on both sides of the football early. Jackson scored the season’s opening touchdown, rushing into the end zone from one yard out to put the ‘Cats up 7-0.

The defense was able to spark the offense with three forced turnovers in the first half. All three turnovers would lead to touchdowns for the ‘Cats. The first came with 2:39 to go in the first quarter, with graduate defensive end Jake Reichwein forcing a fumble on a carry near the sideline. The ‘Cats took over with a short field, and Watkins was able to connect with graduate receiver Rayjuon Pringle for a touchdown to put the ‘Cats up 14-0. 

With 9:21 to play in the second quarter, Lehigh was able to put points on the board with a 38-yard field goal to make it 14-3. Villanova added on a 37-yard field goal after a 66-yard Jackson rush got it into the red zone, making it 17-3. On the ensuing Mountain Hawks drive, senior strong safety Ty Trinh picked off sophomore quarterback Brayten Silbor and returned the ball to the Lehigh 17-yard line. It wouldn’t take long for the ‘Cats to find the end zone again, with Watkins finding Pringle for his second touchdown of the day, this time from seven yards out. The touchdown made it 24-3 with 3:45 left in the second quarter.

“It really comes down to just hustling to the ball and flying around,” Ferrante said of the defense forcing turnovers. “If you put forth the effort and you get around the ball, you get a tipped ball here or the quarterback gets hit a little bit when he’s throwing it and puts it up for grabs […] that’s the end result when those things happen.”

On the next Lehigh possession, senior strong safety Tyrell Mims came up with a pick of his own, returning the ball to Villanova’s 49. Jackson then had a 46-yard touchdown to put the ‘Cats up 31-3 with 1:49 to play in the first half.

The ‘Cats found the end zone again in the third quarter, even as Jackson sat on the sideline. Graduate running back DeeWil Barlee broke off a 33-yard rush on a fourth down conversion attempt, bringing the ‘Cats down to the one-yard line. On the next play, Barlee would get into the end zone to make it 38-3 with 4:13 to go in the third.

“That’s what we do here,” Jackson said of Barlee’s performance. “The running back room, we’re very close-knit. We just want to see everybody thrive in the running back room, so me having 100 yards and DeeWil having 100 yards, it goes with everything we teach here.”

From there, it was merely a formality. Lehigh would find the endzone with 8:02 left to play to make it 38-10. Graduate quarterback James Mott would come in to lead a drive midway through the fourth quarter. It was relatively smooth sailing for the ‘Cats into a 38-10 victory.

The ‘Cats will be back in action next Saturday at home against Colgate at 6 P.M.

“We go into next week with the same mindset,” Jackson said. “Same mindset to get the job done, hopefully next week we have three 100 yard rushers.”