Mitchell and de Ruijter Selected to Preseason All-Big East First Team

Senior+Megan+Mitchell+led+the+Wildcats+with+22+points+last+season.+
Senior Megan Mitchell led the Wildcats with 22 points last season.

On Thursday, Aug. 17, Villanova field hockey’s senior forward Meghan Mitchell and senior back Sabine De Ruijter were named to the Preseason All-Big East First Team. 

They join the other eleven athletes from Liberty, Old Dominion, Providence, Quinnipiac, UConn and Temple who were also selected. 

For Mitchell and De Ruijter, they are coming back after having their most successful season as Wildcats thus far, helping to have led the team to its best finish in over a decade (11-6, 3-4 Big East). 

During the 2022 season, Mitchell led the team with 22 points, including nine goals and four assists. Two of the goals were game-winners. 

The rising senior has also led the Wildcats in points in all three of her collegiate seasons, ranking in the top 20 in Villanova history in eight different categories. 

As for de Ruijter, she is a three-time All-Big East performer and a force to be reckoned with in the back. Last season de Rujter led the team in most minutes played, while also getting involved in the attack, chipping in seven goals and five assists for a 19 point season. 

The Wildcats were selected sixth in the Big East Coaches poll this season, but with Mitchell and De Ruijter in the lineup, the Wildcats are hoping to reach the Big East Tournament for the first time in five years.  

Villanova’s 2023 season will begin on Friday, Aug. 25 at home in Conshohocken, PA against Ball State. Conference play will commence on Friday, Sep. 15 as Villanova takes on Georgetown in Towson, MD.