Whitmore Selected by Houston Rockets As 20th Overall Pick in NBA Draft

Cam+Whitmore+will+join+the+Houston+Rockets+for+his+first+season+in+the+NBA.+

Quinn Burns/Villanovan Photography

Cam Whitmore will join the Houston Rockets for his first season in the NBA.

Brooke Ackerman, Co-Sports Editor

On Thursday, June 22, freshman forward Cam Whitmore was selected by the Houston Rockets as the 20th overall pick in the 2023 NBA draft. 

While Whitmore was selected in the first round, he was Houston’s second pick of the draft. The Rockets also selected guard Amen Thompson with the No. 4 overall pick. 

Whitmore was initially projected to go in the top 10, but reports of medical concerns, poor interviews and issues with his workouts are speculation as to why he slipped come draft day.

However, Whitmore being drafted 20th may be a blessing in disguise, as Sports Illustrated called Whitmore’s selection to the Rockets “the biggest steal of the 2023 NBA Draft.”  

Whitmore played one season at Villanova before declaring, becoming the school’s first “one and done” since Tim Thomas in 1997. During Whitmore’s year at the collegiate level, he averaged 12.5 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Wildcats, shooting 47.8% from the field and 34.3% from behind the arc. For his efforts, Whitmore was named Big East Freshman of the Year. 

Now with his collegiate career behind him, Whitmore will take his talents to Houston. 

During the 2022-23 season, the Rockets finished with a 22-60 record, finishing 14th in the Western Conference. They were led last season by second year guard Jalen Green, who averaged 22.1 PPG, and guard Kevin Porter, who averaged 19.1 PPG.

Whitmore’s selection in the draft makes him the 17th Wildcat to be selected in the first round of the draft since 1950. 

The 6-foot-7, 230 pound forward will now join eight other Wildcats who are currently in the league. 

NBA summer league will begin on July 3, while training camps for the upcoming season will start in mid-September. Official pre-season games start on Friday, Sept. 30.