What’s Next: A Freshman’s Year In Review

Brian Luppy/Villanovan Photography

As the end of the semester approaches, freshmen Sofia Krzewicki reflects on her first year at Villanova.

Sofia Krzewicki, Staff Writer

I began watching The West Wing the summer before my senior year of high school. In the show, Jed Bartlet, the principal character and fictional President of the United States, often uses the phrase, “What’s next?” 

This stuck with me. Throughout the course of his presidential tenure, Bartlet frequently asks this question of himself and the staff closest to him. The purpose of this signature phrase is to emphasize the importance of moving on, moving forward and moving in the right direction. It is a motto not only applicable to politics, but to life as well.

At that time, I, too, was thinking, “What’s next?” as I was gathering the materials to submit my application to Villanova University. Now, almost two years later, I am here at the school I so desperately wanted to attend, at the end of my freshman year, looking back on a year in which I made “What’s next?” my motto.  

A defining aspect of my first year at Villanova has been my involvement in Blue Key. Upon my arrival to campus in August, I knew that the tour guide association on campus was something that I wanted to get involved in, as it played a key role in my decision to attend the University. 

Not only did the process of applying and interviewing for Blue Key increase my confidence in my written and oral communication skills, but my involvement in the organization has also allowed me to give back to Villanova and provide a positive tour experience to prospective students, making them feel welcome on our campus as I was in my junior year of high school.  

The pinnacle of my Blue Key experience this year was Admitted Students Day. While I was already committed to Villanova before my own Admitted Students Day, my experience on campus confirmed that I had made the right decision. 

I was eager and excited to begin the next part of my academic journey and to seek out “What’s next?” Participating in Admitted Students Day was evidence of the power and impact of the Villanova community. 

I would stop and look around to see Blue Key members in their lime-green shirts spread around the Oreo, talking to prospective families, helping each other set up tables for major and involvement fairs, all while going out of their way to ease the pressure felt by members doing their best to make Admitted Students Day an enjoyable experience for all.  

Of course, I would be remiss if I neglected a discussion of Villanova basketball in my year-in review, which is arguably one of the most, if not the most exciting aspect of being a Villanovan. 

It was much better getting to watch my favorite players from inside the Finneran Pavilion or the Wells Fargo Center than from my couch at home. At the end of last season, fans of Villanova basketball asked themselves, “What’s next?” with Jay Wright’s retirement and two star players leaving  the team. 

In many ways, I feel the Villanova Men’s Basketball team this season and the Class of 2026 had a lot in common, as both were new to the school, both were experiencing new things and both were trying to answer that “What’s next?” question. 

I saw our season as an accurate representation of the college years – a period of trial and error, along with occasional victory and plenty of lessons to take with you. And with players moving on to the next chapter of their athletic careers, they too are asking themselves Jed Bartlet’s question.  

This is my biggest takeaway from my first year of college. College, in itself, is one big “What’s next?” and that’s not something to be feared but embraced.  

Ultimately, the greatest part of my first year at Villanova has been the connections that I have made. 

While it was completely and utterly unexpected, I found my greatest friends in my sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta. It came to me at the perfect time, at a period during my first year when I was desperately looking for an answer to that “What’s next?” question. 

The sorority has given me a place to celebrate my individuality, to embrace who I am and to be vulnerable with a group of strong, independent women navigating their college years. 

I had no intention of joining a sorority or getting involved with Greek life, but I remembered Father Peter’s words during Orientation Mass to keep an open mind and heart to the many opportunities that are awaiting us on Villanova’s campus.  

So, what’s next?