The Power of a Beautiful Day

After months of bitter cold, early morning alerts of spontaneous snow days and debates as to whether the walk to class is survivable without the shuttle, it is safe to say that spring has arrived at Villanova. One does not need to check the temperature or see the vast array of tulips, daffodils and hydrangeas to recognize this truth. Rather, it can be determined through a newfound energy on campus.

On the recent 75-degree day, I felt an intense kick of childhood nostalgia as I made my way to my classes. Seeing large groups of students playing volleyball on the nets by Dougherty Hall, students doing their work in their Adirondack chairs and even a group of students blowing bubbles, reminded me of the power that beautiful weather has to boost public morale. It is quite a testament to human nature that despite the vast technological innovations, distractions and constant faux dopamine boosts, we are able to find such obvious fulfillment solely through nature and its healing power.

Alongside witnessing the whimsical nature of students in their element, the aesthetics on campus were at their absolute peak. As I opened my window in my dorm room, the bushes of hundreds of yellow daffodils caught my eye. As I walked to Bartley Hall, I was greeted by the beautiful aroma of pink and purple hyacinths. Even as I made my way toward the Oreo statue, I saw hundreds of flowers that I had no idea existed.  

Villanova is a uniquely beautiful campus throughout all seasons. In the fall, the crimson leaves scattered throughout Mendel Field allow one to feel as though they are in Acadia National Park. In the winter, the icicles that hang from Falvey incite deep appreciation for how such elements augment the intrinsic beauty of our architecture.  Even in the summer, the bright green of the grass and hydrangeas outside of the Connelly Center feel like an ode to the transition from high school into college. Despite all three of these seasons decorating Villanova so beautifully, spring is the greatest time to be on campus. It is the best not even for the mere aesthetics, but for the high morale and spirits by which it is accompanied.

It truly is a wonderful time to be a student at Villanova University. The long-awaited summer break is merely weeks away, the Commons’ Holy Grounds extended its hours past 7 p.m., and the sunset is late enough that a post-dinner walk through the local Radnor neighborhoods has become a sort of tradition among students and their friend groups. As I reflected on what I have perceived to be a large change in the general campus mood, I was curious as to what degree other people perceived this boost of campus activity.  

Freshman nursing student Andrew Pinou was asked how he celebrates the newfound warmth.

“I like to keep things fresh by exploring new study locations throughout campus,” Pinoy said. “Whether it’s a new cafe or an outdoor spot, switching up the scenery helps me stay focused and motivated.”

Whether it is through throwing a frisbee with your friends, basking in the sun as you complete your homework or people-watching and writing an article on the matter like me, it is important that we all appreciate the wonders of a Villanova Spring and gain an even deeper appreciation for nature and its ability to provide us with renewal after even the harshest of winters.