Midseason Review of the Women’s Tennis Team

Women’s Tennis’ match against Seton Hall was canceled due to weather.

Lauren Armstrong, Staff Writer

Villanova’s women’s tennis team has had quite a season thus far. With a 3-10 record thus far, and a multitude of adversities that the team has overcome, it has not had an easy season. However, that has not stopped the team’s positive mindset and dedication to having a successful season.

After starting off the season with a 7-0 loss against Princeton, the ‘Cats bounced back with a 5-2 win against Morgan State University. 

“The team is overall competing better,” head coach Steve Reiniger said. “[However,] we have had some unfortunate losses.”

These losses include the 7-0 losses against NJIT, Delaware, UPenn, St. John’s, Brown and Butler, but the team is working hard during each practice and match to make strides towards improving their record.  

Freshman and No.2 player Maggie Gehrig has been out for the majority of the season due to illness. 

“Having one player out, it changes the entire line up,” Reiniger said. “Double pairs change, and everyone moves up a spot in singles. Maggie has been playing in the three spot the past few matches, but we are excited to get her back into that two spot. As a team, these girls have stayed positive throughout these changes, while we have tried to see what would work best for the team.”

In conference, the Wildcats have had a tough time competing in the Big East. With the March 27th match against Seton Hall being canceled due to weather, the Wildcats only have two more Big East games left to determine their ranks going into the conference tournament. 

“These will be crucial battles for our team, and hopefully we will do as best as we can, and will have a good chance to improve our ranking going into the tournament,” Reiniger said. “We [want to] finish strong and can keep a good momentum going into the tournament.”

Reiniger also highlighted some key players, specifically senior Amanda Rivera-González. 

“[Rivera-González] has always stayed positive and has improved every year she has been here at Villanova,” Reiniger said. “While she is not always in the lineup for singles, she is always willing to step up and help me coach the other players, which I deeply appreciate as I do not have an assistant coach.”

Reiniger also highlighted sophomore Emma Brogan, who is currently the No. 1 player on the roster. 

“Match after match [Brogan] is facing the best players on our opposing teams,” Reignier said. “She has managed to hold some wins in this spot, but, even when she does not win, she has stayed positive and continued to put more and more work in to improve. Her attitude has increased tremendously throughout the season. She has truly come a long way both as a player on and off the court.”

With eight more matches remaining before the Big East Championship, the Wildcats are gearing up to finish off their season strong.

“It will be nice to have a stretch of six home games, and I’m hoping that having the girls rested in their own beds and not traveling in the van for hours on end will help and showcase in these upcoming games,” Reingier said. 

Villanova will face Loyola Maryland in Maryland on Wednesday, March 29th. The Wildcats will then have six more matches before the regular season finale against Lafayette on Sunday, April 16th.