Maddy Siegrist Named First-Team All-American

Olivia Gordon/Villanovan Photography

Senior forward Maddy Siegrist becomes the first All-America selection in Villanova women’s basketball program history.

Owen Hewitt, Co-Sports Editor

Senior forward Maddy Siegrist was named a first-team All-American by the Associated Press and the United States Basketball Writers Association. She is the first player in Villanova women’s basketball history to be named as a first-team All-American.

“Maddy is an All-American in every sense of the word and she is truly deserving of this honor,” head coach Denise Dillon said. “On the court, the numbers she has put up this year are staggering. To lead the country in scoring and score nearly 1,000 points in one season is amazing. We are so proud of Maddy becoming the first Associated Press All-American in program history.”

Siegrist is the nation’s leading scorer, averaging 28.9 points per game. She also contributes 9.3 rebounds per game. She led the Wildcats to a 26-5 regular season record and helped the ‘Cats achieve the highest AP ranking in program history, with the ‘Cats checking in at No. 10 in the final poll of the season.

Siegrist is joined on the first-team All-America list by South Carolina senior forward Aliyah Boston, Iowa junior guard Caitlin Clark, LSU sophomore forward Angel Reese and Indiana senior forward Mackenzie Holmes.

Siegrist had a record-breaking season. A 50-point performance against Seton Hall this season is Siegrist’s career-high and a program record for most points in a single game. Siegrist also broke Villanova’s all-time scoring record this season, passing Shelly Pennefather to become the Villanovan with the most points in a career. Siegrist currently has 2,799 points.

Siegrist and the fourth-seeded ‘Cats will face 13-seed Cleveland St. on Saturday at 5 P.M. in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. In the game, Siegrist will have the opportunity to match Kelsey Plum’s NCAA record of consecutive games of 20 or more points. Siegrist has done so in all 34 games the ‘Cats have played this season. Plum scored 20 or more in 35 straight of Washington’s 2016-17 campaign. Saturday’s game will be televised on ESPNU.