Students React to President Biden’s 2023 State of the Union

Olivia Pasquale/AKSM Media

President Joe Biden (D), one of the two candidates in the upcoming Presidential Election,

Lauren Armstrong, Staff Writer

February 7th, 2023 marked a highly anticipated day in American politics: the 2023 State of the Union Address. This year, President Joseph Biden accepted Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy’s invitation to address the nation during the 99th in-person State of the Union Address. 

Biden addressed McCarthy’s recent win. 

“You know, I start tonight by congratulating the 118th Congress and the new Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy,” he said. “Speaker, I don’t want to ruin your reputation, but I look forward to working with you.” 

Tensions have been high in Congress since the Speaker of the House election, because the House of Representatives had to vote 15 times in order to come to the conclusion of electing McCarthy. Biden then went on to speak about Nancy Pelosi as he recognized her as “the greatest Speaker in the history of the House of Representatives” and congratulated her on a job well-done in the House. 

After the introduction and pleasantries, Biden jumped into action, reporting on the Nation’s economic state. 

“Two years ago, the economy was reeling,” he said. “I stand here tonight, after we’ve created, with the help of many people in this room, 12 million new jobs — more jobs created in two years than any President has created in four years — because of you all, because of the American people.” This statement caused quite a stir, and many seemed to disagree. 

The official Libertarian Party of the United States argued against Biden’s claim.

“You didn’t create 12 million new jobs, entrepreneurs did as soon as the lockdowns and vaccine mandates ended. You stood in the way of it all.”

In addition to controversy being stirred by Biden’s stance on the economy, he caused another by stating, “But time and again, Democrats and Republicans came together. Came together to defend a stronger and safer Europe. You came together to pass one in a once-in-a-generation infrastructure law building bridges connecting our nation and our people. We came together to pass one of the most significant laws ever helping victims exposed to toxic burn pits. And, in fact — it’s important.” 

Many Republican Senators and members of the House came after Biden’s statement, and granted President Donald J. Trump credit for this accomplishment. 

Biden seems very interested in working with a bipartisan Congress during his next years as President. 

“And to my Republican friends, if we could work together in the last Congress, there’s no reason we can’t work together and find consensus on important things in this Congress as well,” he said.

“[I] believe that a bipartisan Congress will be very beneficial for this nation,” freshman Alexandra Schuster said. “Being able to put differences aside and work alongside everyone is the best way to be efficient and make progress as a country.”

Later in his speech, Biden upheld his stance on making sure that the nation provides low cost Medicare in this nation. 

“You know, we pay more for prescription drugs than any nation in the world,” he said. “Let me say it again: We pay more for prescription drugs than any major nation on Earth. For example, 1 in 10 Americans has diabetes. Many of you in this chamber do and in the audience. But every day, millions need insulin to control their diabetes so they can literally stay alive. Insulin has been around for over 100 years. The guy who invented it didn’t even patent it because he wanted it to be available for everyone.” 

Many agree with Biden’s stance and support the Inflation Reduction Act, which he signed into law to prevent medical costs from being unavailable to those who can not afford it. 

“[T]hat’s always been my vision of our country, and I know it’s many of yours: to restore the soul of this nation; to rebuild the backbone of America, America’s middle class; and to unite the country,” Biden said. 

“The State of the Union is always a day I look forward to each year,” freshman Claire Gaza said. “I think it is amazing that each year we get to see how the politics and policies are changing in this nation, and I am excited to see how the next two years of Biden’s presidency hold to the promises he made in this address.”