Anders Said It: Women’s Basketball is Built for Big Run

Villanova+women%E2%80%99s+basketball+is+on+track+for+a+big+postseason+run.+

Olivia Gordon

Villanova women’s basketball is on track for a big postseason run.

Anders Pryor, Staff Writer

These ‘Cats are for real. 

Villanova’s women’s basketball team has been the big trend on campus this year, sports or otherwise. On Saturday, February 4th, the team completed the season sweep against the Butler Bulldogs in a 78-58 road victory that saw senior forward Maddy Siegrist put her tenth 30+ point performance of the season (yes, you read that correctly). But, what was once just a supporting cast are now co-stars. The women’s basketball team is poised for a Final Four run, posing a serious threat to everyone in the conference…and the country. 

Anyone who has watched this team play knows that most of the wins feel largely uncompetitive, as they are either over by halftime or the facade of the opponent ends halfway through the fourth quarter when the difference in talent really starts to show. But, it is not just a one-woman-show of Siegrist. Sophomore guard Lucy Olsen has quickly affirmed herself over and over as the go-to number two scoring option in the rare instances when Siegrist is off the floor, especially in spacing the floor with a 41.8% clip from three. But, what has also caught the eyes of many is the emergence of sophomore forward Christina Dalce, who is second in rebounds (7.6) and first in blocks (2.2) on the team. She has emerged as the toughest player on the court, and her impact on the team is undeniable. This is a complete roster that can go all the way.

Even the loss to UConn last week showed flashes of the capabilities of coach Denise Dillon’s squad, with the Huskies fighting for every basket they scored. Although the ‘Cats couldn’t bring home the win, the gap between the two programs was closed even further, and, by the time the season is over, the gap could be closed altogether. Not just with UConn, but with all of the other blue bloods in women’s college basketball. Piece by piece, the Wildcats are building a culture, a system and a sense of confidence that will put them on a slowly carved path directly to the Final Four. 

When Siegrist broke the all-time Villanova scoring record (of both men’s and women’s), all of the attention was rightfully on her as the Villanova community was in awe of how lucky we are, as a school, to have her suit up in our jersey. But, what it is, too, is a microcosm of why this team is so easy to celebrate. A season with that broken record and a run to Dallas for a spot in the Final Four in the same season would be too perfect. And, yes, it’s a very, very real possibility. 

All the best men’s teams in Villanova’s history have had not just individual greatness on the roster, but a sense of connectivity. You can feel that with the women’s team, and it’s making this campus hungry for a banner. 

All eyes are on the road for Georgetown on Wednesday. The journey continues.