Siegrist, Olsen Lead Villanova Past St. Joe’s With a 82-59 Home Victory

Lucy+Olsen+added+20+points+in+the+win.+

Olivia Gordon/Villanovan Phtography

Lucy Olsen added 20 points in the win.

Brooke Ackerman, Co-Sports Editor

The women’s basketball team had a dominant 82-59 win over Saint Joseph’s University on Saturday afternoon. 

With their second straight win at the Finneran Pavilion, the Wildcats snapped the Hawks’ undefeated 9-0 record, clinching themselves at least a share of the Big 5 title for the 2022-23 season. 

Speaking on clinching a piece of the title, senior forward Maddy Siegrist noted how it’s “such a historic rivalry,” and how the team “just wants to win it every single year.” 

With this goal in mind, Siegrist led her team with 31 points and eight rebounds, helping to secure the Big 5 championship for the sixth consecutive season. 

As for the rest of the Wildcat lineup, the team started off strong in the first quarter of play. On the defensive end, the Wildcats’ stifling defense forced St. Joe’s to use up most of the shot clock before the Hawks could get into their offensive play. 

On the other end of the court, Villanova was able to capitalize on their offensive opportunities, ending the first quarter up 20 points over the Hawks. 

However, as play in the second quarter progressed, the Hawks started to pick up their speed of play, scoring 18 points. 

The Wildcats matched the energy, responding with 17 points of their own, led by the power duo of Siegrist and sophomore guard Lucy Olsen. The two helped Villanova maintain its lead, ending the second quarter up, 45-26. 

Heading into the second half, Siegrist continued to be a driving offensive force for the Wildcats, scoring eight more points in the third quarter and 10 in the fourth. 

Along with Siegrist, Olsen had a commanding game, putting up 20 points, including a buzzer beater three at the end of the third quarter to put the Wildcats up 64-47 heading into the fourth. 

While play evened out in the fourth quarter, Villanova maintained their lead for the final 10 minutes. Sustaining a more than 20-point advantage with less than five minutes to go, head coach Denise Dillon was able to put some reserve players on the court.

Sophomore guard Zanai Jones made her fifth appearance of the season and netted three points, while junior forward Kylie Swider had her third appearance of the season. Freshman forward Annie Welde had her second appearance of the season.

“It’s huge to get everybody out on the floor,” Dillon said. “It certainly helps you know, they give it their all in practice every day and for them to be rewarded… it’s exciting.” 

The Wildcats now have a ten day break before taking the court again for the Invesco QQQ Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase where they will take on Iowa State on Sunday, December 18 at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, CT.