Villanova Outlasts Temple, 74-71, Behind 41 From Siegrist

Maddy+Siegrist+led+the+Wildcats+with+41+points+and+16+rebounds.+

Olivia Gordon/Villanovan Photography

Maddy Siegrist led the Wildcats with 41 points and 16 rebounds.

Brooke Ackerman, Staff Writer

Villanova’s women’s basketball team pulled off a thrilling 74-71 win over Temple on Sunday night. 

With this win, the Wildcats remain undefeated on their season, as well as 2-0 in the Big 5 after a dominating win over Penn just three days prior. 

However, their matchup against the Owls was no easy feat. Temple came out hot in the first quarter, setting the tone with the first basket of the game just seconds in. 

The rest of the quarter remained even, as both teams continued to trade baskets, keeping the score close. 

The Wildcats showcased their speed in transition to get quick baskets, but Temple was equally as strong on the offensive end. The first quarter ended with Villanova only having a one point lead. 

As the second quarter began, senior forward Maddy Siegrist opened up the scoring to bring her individual scoring total to double digits just 10 seconds into the quarter. 

However, Villanova went cold in the second, going just 1-of-11 on FG attempts. Its lack of scoring in the quarter wasn’t overly detrimental, as Temple also had three turnovers and nearly seven missed shot attempts. 

By the time the buzzer sounded for halftime, Temple only led, 36-33, keeping the Wildcats in high spirits for a better second half. 

Temple opened up scoring in the second half, and took an early lead to go up, 43-35, forcing Villanova to call a timeout just two minutes into play. 

As play continued, Temple started to find its rhythm and took a 12 point lead, its largest of the game. 

However, remaining poised with the ball on the offensive end, the Wildcats scored eight straight points to diminish the Owls’ lead, and bring the score to 52-49. 

In the last minute of the quarter, Temple put up five more points, including a three pointer with just seven seconds left to end the quarter, 57-49. 

Down eight heading into the fourth quarter, the Wildcats had to put up some big stats if they wanted to continue their undefeated streak. To cut the deficit, they turned to their star, and Siegrist delivered.

In the fourth quarter, Siegrist put up 18 of Villanova’s 25 points to bring her final total to 41. She added 16 rebounds for her fourth consecutive double-double to open the season. 

But, it wasn’t her alone that helped Villanova with the turnaround. 

Temple scored its first basket of the quarter after six minutes had passed. The Owls were stymied by a killer block from senior guard Brooke Mullin, and key defensive rebounds from sophomore forward Christina Dalce and sophomore guard Kaitlyn Orihel. 

Now up, 67-64, in the final minute of play, Villanova called a timeout to gather themselves for what would be an action-packed last minute. 

While Temple got a few offensive opportunities, it was the Wildcats who stepped to the foul line five different times in the last minute. 

Villanova was able to sink seven of its free throws, bringing the score to 74-71 with just nine seconds left.

In its final push of the game, Temple came down the court to try and hit one more three to tie it up, but the Owls missed their final attempt. Orihel claimed the defensive rebound to solidify another Wildcat win. 

Now with their fourth away win of the season, the women will look to continue their momentum on the road as they head down to Naples, Florida for the Gulf Coast Showcase. 

The Wildcats are set to take on Belmont University on Friday, Nov. 25, and will then play the winner of Baylor and St. Louis just one day later.