Chaos on Capitol Hill


Courtesy of Drew Angerer, Getty Images

Capitol Police blocked the entrance to the senate chambers while rioters tried to get inside.

Cate McCusker, Co-Editor-in-Chief

For the first time since 1814, the U.S. Capitol was violently breached. We all have many questions, and there are very few answers, but here’s what we know so far:

At 11:00 this morning, President Trump spoke to a crowd of his supporters outside the White House. During his speech, he reiterated the lie that he won the election. At the same time, the U.S. Congress was meeting to certify President-Elect Joe Biden’s win in the electoral college.

Mitch McConnell, senate majority leader, urged his fellow Republicans to certify the election, calling this “the most important vote I’ve ever cast.”

“If this election was overturned by allegations from the losing side, our democracy would enter a death spiral,” McConnell said.

At this time, rioters began to clash with police. The mob then stormed the Capitol building, breaking windows, rummaging through desks, and breaking into both the House and Senate chambers on the second floor. One rioter even entered the Senate chamber and shouted from the dais, “Trump won the election.” 

After Vice President Mike Pence and other lawmakers were evacuated from House and Senate chambers, Pence called on these protestors to stop.

“The violence and destruction taking place at the US Capitol Must Stop and it Must Stop Now,” Pence tweeted. “Anyone involved must respect Law Enforcement officers and immediately leave the building.” 

Biden gave a speech at around 3:30 p.m. condemning the chaos on Capitol Hill and urging the President to do something about it.

“I call on President Trump to go on national television now to fulfil his oath and defend the Constitution and demand an end to this siege,” Biden said. “This is not a protest, it’s an insurrection.”

At around 4:30, President Trump released a pre-recorded video, claiming that he won the election, a false statement, and finally urging protesters to go home.

“This was a fraudulent election, but we can’t play into the hands of these people.” Trump said. “We have to have peace, so go home.”

At 4:45 p.m., D.C. Mayor Bowser reiterated the curfew, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., and urged Washingtonians to stay home and stay safe.

“The behavior that we are witnessing is shameful, unpatriotic, and above all it is unlawful,” Bowser said. “There will be law and order and this behavior will not be tolerated.”

Again, at the time of this article’s publication we do not know everything. We do know someone has been shot and was rushed by ambulance to receive medical care. As of 6:45 p.m., it has been reported that the woman who was shot has died.