Field Hockey Closes Season With 5-1 Win vs Georgetown

The team poses for a picture following the win to close out the season

Brooke Ackerman, Staff Writer

The Villanova field hockey team closed out its 2022 season with a 5-1 win over Georgetown on Friday, Oct. 28. 

The Wildcats started the game off strong, maintaining good ball movement and control, helping them to take the lead with back-to-back goals. Sophomore midfielder Anne Drabbe started off the scoring, and senior forward Caitlin Van Goeverden followed it up to give the women a 2-0 lead. 

In the second quarter, Villanova extended its lead to 3-0 with a goal from junior forward Meghan Mitchell, her ninth of the season. 

While there was no action in the third quarter, the Hoyas were able to stay in the game, getting some shots on the frame and eventually finding the back of the net in the final quarter of play. However, the Wildcats were determined and responded with two more goals in the fourth quarter, one from sophomore midfielder Emma Schwarz and one from junior back Sabine de Ruijter, to solidify a dominating win over Georgetown. 

As the final whistle blew, head coach Joanie Milhous described the sentiment of the team with just one word: sad.

“I don’t think anyone was ready for it to end,” she said. “Our seniors were sad, the coaches were sad, honestly everyone was just sad. We couldn’t believe it was over. The seniors and fifth years changed the culture on the team, and everybody looks up to them and admires them.” 

This season, the Wildcats finished with a 11-6 overall record and a 3-4 record in conference play, which statistically is the best season the women have had since 2018, something Milhous attributed to the team culture. 

“These guys have been a part of the culture change for the past few years, so they’ve really witnessed the change,” she said. “And with that culture change, it really is about our core values and standards: passion, growth and accountability. These girls have lived it. They’ve really changed it, and it’s great to see. We’re just such a tight knit group, and we really do call ourselves a family.” 

The Wildcats will be graduating five seniors and two graduate students this year, but two of those seven, Claire Borman and Hannah Barsky, will return to the field next season for another year of play, as well as the many underclassmen standouts. 

“I could name everyone,” Milhous said when asked who the standouts are. “We just have a lot of contributors and a lot of threats on the field. There aren’t any weak spots.” 

As the Wildcats say goodbye to their senior and graduate leadership this season, the women will also take this time during the off season to prepare for the fall. 

“We want to fine-tune a lot, to work on basic skills and to get our hands faster for 1v1’s in attacking play,” Milhous explained. “We see most of our growth in the spring time because it gives us the time we need to master skills, especially with the freshmen.” 

In addition to the returning players, Milhous also spoke on the nine recruits Villanova has for next season.

“They’re all very talented, and we actually just received a verbal commitment from an international player a few days ago, who we are also really excited about,” she said. 

With the 2022 season coming to a close and the women boasting their best record in four seasons, the field hockey program is on the come up. 

“Everyone is talented, but most importantly, they’re all rooted into our core values and standards,” Milhous said. “The future is bright, and we’re excited to keep growing.”