Midterm Election: Get to Know the Candidates

With the midterm election one week away, it is important to know who is on the ballot.

Lydia McFarlane, Co-News Editor

With the midterm elections one week away, it is important to know who is on the ballot. Here are the candidate profiles for each candidate for those who are voting from their school addresses. 

John Fetterman is the Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate. He is the Democratic sitting Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania, and he was elected to that position in 2019. Previously, he was the mayor of Braddock, PA from 2005-2019.

His major policy positions are to raise the minimum wage to at least $15, universal healthcare, transition to clean energy to address climate change, legalize marijuana, compassionate immigration reform, protect abortion rights, stand up for unions, equal marriage rights and to get corporate money out of politics. He had a stroke in May and was not very active on the campaign trail because of it. However, his doctors expect him to make a full recovery. He was notably endorsed by several unions, including united steelworkers and united food and commercial workers. 

The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate is Mehmet Oz. He was a physician, the host of the Dr. Oz show, a health expert on Oprah’s show and an author. He has no previous political experience. His major policy positions are energy independence, trusting science when it comes to Covid but keep kids in school and don’t shut down businesses for extended periods of time, grow American economy by focusing on domestic issues causing inflation and reversing Biden era policies, restore our service, stop illegal immigration, pro-life, support veterans, get tough on China, protect the Second Amendment, support law enforcement, “Pennsylvania first,” secure elections, support small businesses and free speech. Oz is not from PA and lives in New Jersey. He was notably endorsed by Donald Trump, Ted Nugent, Sean Hannity, Nikki Haley and the PA Fraternal Order of Police.

The Democratic candidate for governor is Josh Shapiro. He is the PA Attorney General. Previously, he was the Montgomery County commissioner from 2011-2017 and member of PA house of representatives from 2005-2011. His major policy positions are pro-choice when it comes to abortion, legalize marijuana, stricter gun control, equal pay, environmental regulations to combat climate change, cut costs and invest in public education. He has been endorsed by the current PA governor Tom Wolf, as well as the Philadelphia Firefighters and Paramedics Union.

The Republican candidate for governor is Doug Mastriano. He is a current member of the PA state senate and is a veteran. His major policy positions are to Restore Freedom, return to normalcy, restore confidence in elections, education and parental rights, lower tax burden, revive the economy with energy and protect the Second Amendment. Mastriano is an election denier and he has sued the January 6 committee. He has been endorsed by Trump.

Next are the profiles for the US House of Representatives, but students who live off campus may have different representatives. 

The Democratic candidate for the U.S. House is the current representative Mary Gay Scanlon. She is up for reelection, as all members of the House are every two years. Her major policy positions are voting rights, education, immigration reform, child welfare and gun violence prevention. She has been endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign and Common Defense.

The Republican candidate for U.S. House of Representatives is David Galluch. He served in the U.S. Navy from 2008-2019. His major policy positions are to support the US economy to bring down inflation, getting parents involved in children’s educations, affordable healthcare, workforce development and immigration reform. He has been endorsed by the Delaware County Republican Party.

Next are the candidates for Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania. The lieutenant governor is the second highest ranking government official in the state. 

The Democratic candidate is Austin Davis. He is a current member of the PA House of Representatives. His major policy positions are pro-choice, marriage equality, gun reform and taking environmental procedures to address climate change. He has been endorsed by the Pittsburgh LGBTQ Stonewall Democrats, the State Democratic party, and the Human Rights Campaign.

The Republican candidate is Carrie DelRosso. She is a current member of the PA House of Representatives. Her major policy positions are pro-life, Second Amendment support and anti-Critical Race Theory. She did not condemn the insurrection after it happened and is endorsed by Republican PA gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano. 

The following are the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. If students live off-campus, they may have different representatives.

The Democratic candidate is Lisa Borowski. She has had involvement in local politics for a decade. Her major policy positions are to invest in public education, common sense gun reform, workers’ rights, pro-choice, protect the environment and easy access to voting.

She has been endorsed by Planned Parenthood, Change PA, Human Rights Campaign and Represent PA.

The Republican candidate is Christopher Quinn. He is a current member of the PA House of Representatives. His major policy positions are pro-life in regard to abortion and to protect and promote small businesses.

As the election gets closer, make sure to stay informed about who’s on the ballot before getting out to vote. Make sure to do research and make informed decisions about who to vote for this midterm election.