Offensive Line Struggles and Gets Banged Up in Loss to Army

Victoria Margenat/Villanovan Photography

Villanova junior quarterback Connor Watkins was hurried and pressured on throws throughout the afternoon, and he was also sacked three times.

Owen Hewitt, Staff Writer

WEST POINT, N.Y. With stalwart graduate center Colin Gamroth out against Army, Villanova was already spread thin on its offensive line. 

Then, bad got worse late in the first half when sophomore center Jake Picard went down with an injury, and did not return in the second half. Initially, graduate lineman Michael Corbi slid over from his right guard spot to cover duties at center, with junior backup right tackle Wyatt Hummel filling in on the right side of the line.

“(Hummel’s) a guy who’s been a cross-train guy for us,” Villanova head coach Mark Ferrante said. “He’s played tackle, he’s played guard and he’s played center.”

However, after the half, Hummel slid over to center and Corbi picked back up his duties at right guard. Offensive line was supposed to be one of the ‘Cats strengths this year, with Gamroth and Corbi racking up preseason awards, but against Army, the men in the trenches struggled.

“Without Gamroth in there, we’re going with (Picard), sometimes we’ll put our right guard Corbi at center, but now you’re weakening two positions,” Ferrante said. “So you know, put Wyatt in there, let him try and learn on the fly a little bit with these game reps. You can never have too many guys to effectively snap the ball.”

Villanova junior quarterback Connor Watkins was hurried and pressured on throws throughout the afternoon, and he was also sacked three times. The ground game also struggled, picking up just 173 rushing yards. Watkins led the way with 60. 

However, there is good news for the ‘Cats. Ferrante said he is hopeful for Gamroth to return as soon as next Saturday. 

“We feel pretty good about all three [centers],” Ferrante said. “We’re hoping Gamroth will be back next week, that’d be perfect timing if (Picard’s) not able to bounce back next week and Gamroth steps in, then I think we’ll be in good shape.”

The Wildcats face the Monmouth Hawks next week for a Family Weekend game. The ‘Cats will look to bounce back from the loss to Army on Saturday as they open CAA play.