Mullen Center Performance Preview For The Semester

Courtesy of Olivia Pasquale/Villanovan Photography

From a capella to band and beyond, the Mullen Center has lots to offer this semester.

Elena Rouse, Co-Culture Editor

The beginning of the year is not strictly for scholastics, as the world of all things performing arts once again takes center stage. Specifically, events take center stage at the two-year-old John and Joan Mullen Center for the Performing Arts. Here is the upcoming line-up for all the things to look forward to this upcoming semester.

Coming Sept. 17 at 3 p.m., the Mid-Autumn Festival, sponsored by CAT, comes to the center. The Mid-Autumn Festival is traditionally celebrated on Sept. 10 and is a traditional festival celebrated in Chinese culture.

From Sept. 21 through Oct. 2, the Villanova Theatre Department opens with its show “Men on Boats.” Loosely based on a true story, the satire follows 10 male explorers as they chart out the Colorado River. Did they mention the Villanova cast is played by non-male actresses?

On Sept. 28, The Brazilian Jazz Band takes the stage to fill the hall with smooth melodies and good vibes.

On Oct. 6, the LePage Center, whose mission it is to spread historical study and present movements, will celebrate its fifth anniversary with an address from noted historian Sophia Rosenfelf, a University of Pennsylvania Ph.D. graduate. The speaker is set to discuss “Truth, Lies, and Democracy Now: A Historian’s Reflections.”

On Oct. 20, Villanova Musical Theater opens “Kiss Me Kate,” a classic musical and retelling of Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew.” Performances go until Oct. 23. 

On Oct. 26 at 6 p.m., Jay Wright himself takes to the Center with a fireside chat titled “Ignite Your Strengths.”

On Oct. 30 at 2 p.m., the Jazz Band’s Fall Concert takes place.

Come Nov. 3 at 6 p.m., Villanova’s annual Mother Mary Lange Lecture takes place. Sponsored by the Office for Mission and Ministry, Office of the Dean and Liberal Arts and Sciences and History, this year’s speaker is Reverend Bryan Massingale, STD, known for theological and social ethics. He is also the author of “Racial Justice and the Catholic Church.”

Nov. 10 through Nov. 20 is when the Villanova Theatre Department puts on the 17th-century comedy written by one of the select women playwrights of the Spanish Golden Age, “House of Desires.”

From Nov. 17 through Nov. 20, Shakespeare’s Macbeth lives on through Villanova Student Theater.

On Nov. 18, Nov. 19 and 20, Villanova’s multiple a capella groups perform for their annual fall showcase. Stay tuned for what groups perform on each day.

Come Dec. 3, the Center sees some movement with Villanova’s Dance Company and Ensemble performing in the Nova Noise Fall Showcase.

On Dec. 9, Villanova Student Musical Theatre hosts its Cabaret. Students create their own performances of song or dance or both and conduct individual performances in a hodge podge selection of performances.

To celebrate the Christmas season, Christmas Portions of Handel’s Messiah and other Choral Favorites fill the halls on Dec. 10.

Ending out the semester, the Villanova Band and Chamber Strings put on their Christmas concert. 

The Mullen Center is full of exciting performances for the upcoming semester, so make sure to check in on this cultivated list of for everything to know about the season.