University Celebrates St. Patricks Day

VU Irish Dance distributed Villanova Draught tees.

Nicole Celis, Staff Writer

This weekend on campus, students celebrated Saint Patrick’s Day with a variety of festivities. To kick it off, on Thursday March 17 Campus Activities Team hosted a St. Patrick’s Day Carnival and Arcade Game Night. There were free food trucks, including a pizza truck, as well as bounce houses and cookie decorating. The night ended with St. Patrick’s Day themed Quizzo with prizes and food for students. 

On Friday, Kappa Delta hosted their annual Shamrock Cornhole Tournament to raise money for their philanthropy, Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA). Teams of four students each could enter for $40 to win prizes and free t-shirts. There were also raffles for students and the proceeds went to PCAA as well. Raffles included a Blue Mercury makeup class and gift cards to local restaurants. 

Madi Plumer, Kappa Delta’s Director of Philanthropy, was excited to see such a large turnout for the event. “Kappa Delta is so lucky to have the support of the Villanova community in our efforts. It was such a great experience and it was so great to see everyone turn out for our philanthropy,” Plumber said.  

The event took place on the Campus Green starting at 2 pm, and students were able to play cornhole, purchase Wawa sandwiches, and dance to the DJ’s music during the tournament. Although Villanova’s first game of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament was at the same time, many students still came out to support the cause and have fun with friends. They were all able to celebrate Villanova’s win on the Campus Green. 

On Friday night, there were more events on the Campus Green. Fire pits were available to students and a variety of food trucks came to campus again. For students of age, there was a beer garden to attend on the Green. There was live Irish music throughout the night from The King Brothers and The John Byrne Band. 

Also taking place on Friday night was Acapella Palooza in Jake Nevin, a showcase of all of the acapella groups on campus. This was the first year since the pandemic that the event was able to take place to its pre-pandemic capacity. All eight acapella groups were able to perform for students and community members, including the Spires and Nothing but Treble. 

The weekend festivities came to a close on Saturday with NOVAdance, the 12 hour dance marathon to raise money for pediatric cancer. The all year fundraiser supports the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation, and many organizations on campus sign up to be their own team for fundraising. All types of organizations on campus are represented at NOVAdance, from Greek Life to athletic teams. This year NOVAdance raised $492,385.19 for their B+ Heroes, the children at the core of the mission of the fundraising.