Alpha Chi Omega Hosts Healthy Relationship Week

Alpha Chi Omega is hosting its annual Healthy Relationships Week.

Sarah Wisniewski, Staff Writer

The University’s Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega will host its annual Healthy Relationships Week to promote safe and positive love during the week of Feb. 7.

The events will benefit the sorority’s philanthropic partner, Domestic Violence Awareness. The sorority recognizes domestic violence as a “pattern of behavior which involves the abuse by one partner against another in an intimate relationship such as marriage, cohabitation dating or within the family.”

The philanthropic goal of AXO involves assisting any individual in removing themselves from such a relationship, recognizing the signs of domestic violence and finding emotional support for victims. 

Villanova’s chapter of AXO works with Laurel House of PA. The organization houses women and children who have been directly affected by domestic violence. Previous to the week’s events, the chapter penned more than 120 Valentine Day cards to the residents of Laurel House. All proceeds from the Healthy Relationships Week will go to Laurel House.

The week includes five events, one for each day of the school week. Monday’s event was known as “Cupcakes and Compliments.” Sorority members stationed in Connelly Center offered sweet treats for $3 and the opportunity for students to send a compliment to a fellow classmate. The compliments can be sent to friends, romantic partners or anyone who just needs a little extra love. 

Head of Philanthropy for AXO, Emma Rivas-Vazquez, wanted members of the community to feel loved with this event.

“I really wanted to emphasize the positivity around having healthy relationships, mixed with a sweet way to fundraise,” Rivas-Vazquez said. “The littlest things can brighten someone’s day and make them feel incredibly appreciated, so that is why we wanted to mix in selling cupcakes and flowers, with leaving compliments and special messages for another person.”

Tuesday’s event included candy grams, the age-old tradition of delivering a valentine attached with a piece of candy. On Wednesday, students can support the cause by either purchasing a flower or visiting the local smoothie spot Juice Pod. 

On Thursday, tickets will be available for purchase for the sorority’s new interactive workshop known as “Alpha Chi: Choose the Right Guy.” The workshop will be hosted on Thursday, Feb. 10 at 8 p.m. in the Connelly Cinema.

The workshop is a new event developed by this year’s AXO Philanthropy Committee. The event will include different fraternity organizations on campus. The members of the organizations will be asked a series of questions in each round. The first round will include red and green flags in a relationship. The committee will read off scenarios, and each fraternity member will raise a green or red flag. If the flags are not the same colors for all members, the committee will have an open discussion. Rivas-Vazquez will explain within a “safe-space” why the scenario is either healthy in a relationship or not. 

Other rounds will include discussion about love languages, mutual respect, signs of healthy and unhealthy relationships and what to do if one is feeling alone in a relationship or are feeling gaslighted and who to turn to. The final round will include the members in suits and ties, where each contestant will be asked about what they value in relationships and what they value about themselves. The winner will then be chosen and represent the values of AXO, including healthy love, growth and mutual respect. The winner will be selected by the crowd. 

These events are similar to past fundraisers. However, the pandemic has affected the ability of some events in the past. Luckily, this year will bring more in-person events than the last two years. The national quarters of AXO choose this week around Valentine’s Day every year since the topic of love and relationships is so prevalent. 

“It is so important for us to know what a healthy relationship is, especially in college where one can feel lots of stress,” Rivas-Vazquez said. “This is such an important philanthropy because of those hard conversations we need to have. If I can positively affect and help at least one person, I have done my job.”