Three Schools Join Colonial Athletic Association

Courtesy of Alison Amarain/Villanovan Photography

Stony Brook, who lost to Villanova 33-14 in November, is among three schools joining the CAA for all sports. Villanova only competes in the CAA in football.

Matthew Ryan, Co-Sports Editor

On Jan. 25, 2022, the Colonial Athletic Association announced that Hampton University, Monmouth University and Stony Brook University will join the conference, starting July 1, 2022. The moves come following James Madison University’s departure from the CAA to move up to the FBS level, joining the Sun Belt Conference.

While the majority of Villanova’s athletics play in the Big East, the Wildcats’ football program is a member of the CAA, where they took home the regular season title in 2021.

The new additions on the football side will be Hampton and Monmouth, as Stony Brook’s (Stony Brook, N.Y.) football program already competed in the CAA. The move puts the conference at 13 total teams after having 12 a season ago.

Hampton, an HBCU located in Hampton, VA, enters the CAA after being a member of the Big South since 2018. The Pirates, who are led by Robert Prunty, went 5-6 overall last season and 3-4 in conference play.

Monmouth (West Long Branch, N.J.) is also a new addition to the conference, moving from the Big South, where it has been an associate member since 2014. The Hawks went 7-4 a year ago and 6-1 in conference play. Monmouth is coached by Kevin Callahan, who has been at the program since 1993, where he has over 170 career wins.

The addition of Monmouth and Hampton adds to a dominant conference whose strength took a hit when powerhouse JMU announced its departure.

“We are pleased to welcome Hampton University, Monmouth University and Stony Brook University as the newest members of the CAA,” CAA Commissioner Joe D’Antonio said. “All three institutions fit perfectly into the framework of the Conference’s vision that calls for our membership to work together to advance nationally competitive athletic programs – coupled with outstanding academic programs – that empower student-athletes as whole persons to strive at the highest level in every aspect of their lives. The CAA is excited for what the future holds and will continue to be focused on making decisions that ensures its membership a competitive and sustainable model.”