Horner’s column

[email protected]

Dear Editors:

Concerning Mr. Horner’s column: it’s time to put the one-trick pony out to pasture.

Please don’t get me wrong. I have no problem with Mr. Horner’s opinions. The right to free speech is the basic of our democracy. He has an opinion and has found an outlet for it in a student newspaper – good for him. I recognize that no one should ever be denied this right, even if his or her opinion is unpopular.

So Horner can attack Bush if he wants, I really don’t care. My problem is that he does the same thing week after week. Horner writes in the March 12, 2004 Villanovan: “In this column I have consistently railed, ranted and reviled our president for his actions leading up to the war against Iraq…” That’s true – almost every column does nothing besides criticizing President Bush or his administration for the same things. In fact, I can’t remember the last article that didn’t recycle Bush jokes from Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

It’s not only repetitive and boring, it’s a waste of valuable space where other members of the Villanova community might want to express their voices. If the editors are intent on maintaining a dialogue about the President or the situation in Iraq (a positive and laudable mission), how about limiting Horner’s opinion to once a month and inviting different students, professors, or staff members to write in between?

Sincerely,John Bloor