So you think the man behind the bird is not good enough! Think Again…

[email protected]

Maybe what they should be teaching at Villanova is gratitude!

I have to say that I was appalled by an article that I read in a local paper about the dissappointment of the graduating class at Villanova University over their commencement speaker. Caroll Spinney has entertained the world as Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street since the show’s beginning. For 35 years he has donned the sweet and innocent feathers of Big Bird as well as the rough and tumble trash can of Oscar the Grouch, not only teaching to more than 3 generations of children, but touching their hearts as well. He is known throughout the industry as a skilled and talented puppeteer, an extraordinary humanitarian, and a kind and gentle man. He has traveled the world as Big Bird, won Grammys and Emmys, and has been named a Living Legend by the Library of Congress. But, all this doesn’t seem to be enough for the graduating class of Villanova!

To the members of the graduating class of Villanova who view the image this speaker portrays as “patronizing” and “disappointing,” as stated by the columnist for the Villanovan, the student newspaper, Joe Mordini, is pathetic. To base your opinion on this man’s character, whether it be the one he wears on Sesame Street or his own, is truly a disgrace to the University as a whole. There is no other human being in this world with more character than the man who will speak at your commencement. If you can’t see that, then the graduating students of Villanova have not only wasted a lot of money, but still have much to learn.