In response to November 12th editorial

[email protected]

In response to the November 12, 2004 editorial entitled “Women studies class requirement outdated,” I would like to share my own personal experience. I am a senior Psychology major here and I have taken several diversity courses by choice, beyond the requirements. As a women who has a disability, I would add that I effectively experience a dual type of prejudice on a daily basis. If the author feels that women’s rights have long been established, I would ask him/her to examine the societal issues and prejudices that dispute his/her statement.

I would agree that all students should be required to take diversity courses. Campus diversity has proven to benefit both minority and majority students by improving campus relationships. In was noted in a research study by Debra Humphreys that when there is a stong campus commitment to diversity, there is an increase in under-represented groups and an overall greater sense of satisfaction among all students.

It is also important to note that these diversity courses increase understanding, decrease the incidence of prejudice and improve academic performance. As evident in the seeming contradiction of fact in the editorial, it is important to note that it has also been reported that minorities, women and the disabled still feel that campuses are unresponsive to their needs. This fact alone would certainly support the argument that while progress has been made, there is still a need for more support at the institutional level to make the campus environment more accepting of diversity.

Jessica Rupp