Ambrose Abbracciamento Wins Individual Title

Zac Tipton, Staff Writer

The Wildcat golfers completed a two-tournament week, in which 10 athletes got to compete. In Villanova’s annual home tournament, the team finished fifth with a total score of 581 (+21). It went 289 on the first day and 292 on the second. Freshman Peter Weaver and Senior Max Siegfred tied with a team best 145 (+5). Villanova also sent out a “B” team, which finished T12 with a total score of 598. Freshman Jonathan Elkins led that team with a 146 (+6) over the two days. 

Villanova had eight of its 10 golfers finish in the top half of the field. In the Abarta Coca-Cola Collegiate Invitational, Villanova shined with a third place finish and a total score of 585 (+9). Villanova shot 291 on the first day and 294 on the second. Grad student Ambrose Abbracciamento and Siegfred both shot -2 under par in the first round. While Siegfred couldn’t repeat that great score on the second day, Abbracciamento did and played even better. Ambrose shot an incredible 66 (-6) to come back and win the tournament on the second day, finishing with a two-day score of 136. 

Villanova came into its home tournament needing a good finish to keep the momentum going. It had finished well in its last few tournaments. The team did just that, finishing fifth at its home tournament and getting some great production from guys on the “B” team to show that there is a bright future ahead. Villanova came out rolling with all the players on its main team shooting +5 or less. Elkins and Luke Alexander did well from the “B” team as well, both shooting +4. On the second day, the team played well, with a couple of players like Weaver shooting way better than the score on the first day. Weaver shot +5 on the first day but came back with a round of even par on the second day including an incredible eagle on the seventh to finish 15th and tie Siegfried for the team lead. On the other team, Elkins shot +2 on the second day to bring his total score to +6 and finish third out of all Wildcats on the course. Elkins and Weaver are both freshmen, so it is safe to say that the future is looking good. 

In the second tournament of the week, Villanova was back with a solid first day performance. The team shot a 291, which is only +3, to put it into second place going into the second day. On the second day, Villanova finished with a +6, 294 to finish third behind Lehigh and Rider. Villanova’s seniors stepped up, with Ambrose winning the entire tournament with a total two-day score of 136 or -8. Junior Noah Peck finished second on the team with a combined score of +5. Weaver and Siegried both had a score of +6. Villanova also had Senior Reb Banas there for what may have been his final tournament as a Wildcat. Banas finished with a total score of +18. Alexander rounded out the pack finishing with a score of +12.

After his successful weekend, Abbracciamento was named co-Big East golfer of the week with St. John’s Jack Simon. Villanova will now head to Florida next week to the Big East Championships where it will enter as the eighth best team according to average over par. The team is currently averaging 14.82 over par.