Outgoing student body president, vice president reflect on accomplishments

Kelsey Ruane

Outgoing Student Body President Dan Gelwicks and Vice President Spencer Curtis would campaign for a second term if they could.

“Unfortunately, they’re forcing us out,” Gelwicks said. “They’re making us graduate.”

Gelwicks and Curtis said they accomplished the major points of their campaign this year, which included improvements in the areas of academics, athletics and communication.

Syllabi are available online for all four colleges and they worked closely with the athletics department to establish new traditions that they hope will continue after they leave, including student tailgating at football games and a service event at the first men’s basketball exhibition game at the Wachovia Center. 

The University bought extra tickets to the game this year so various service organizations could bring the community members they serve.

Gelwicks and Curtis opened the discussion of an extra reading day with the administration but were not able to make any immediate changes.

“There’s more conversation that has to be held on the topic,” Gelwicks said.

Their biggest challenge was building relationships for the first time with offices that are not used to working closely with students, according to Gelwicks.

“[It was a challenge] getting them to listen to student input for the first time,” Curtis said.

Now those contacts are made for incoming Student Body President and Vice President Bridget Halligan and Allison Webb, according to Gelwicks.

“Bridget and Allison have an opportunity to jump straight into things,” Gelwicks said.

While they stress that the positions are almost full-time jobs and that they have missed their fair share of classes and nights out, Gelwicks and Curtis admit there are perks.

Both Curtis and Gelwicks have enjoyed working with the top rung of administration.

“You really have to experience it to understand [how it works],” Gelwicks said.

“You really have to experience it to understand [how it works],” Gelwicks said.

Curtis has enjoyed sitting on the Board of Trustees and getting to know University President Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A.

“It’s a unique experience to interact with top-level administrators,” Curtis said.

Gelwicks and Curtis ran on an internal/external ticket, Gelwicks coming from inside SGA and Curtis having no prior experience in the organization.

“We broke the mold this year,” Gelwicks said. “Two-thirds of our board was from outside SGA.”

Gelwicks will move back to Chicago after graduating and start work at Ambitech Engineering Corporation. 

Curtis awaits a decision from Villanova School of Law. 

Looking back on their time at Villanova, there’s not much they would change.

“I’d have run sophomore year,” Curtis said. “And be in office for a longer time.”

Daina Amorosano contributed reporting to this article.