Kappa Delta, Sig Ep win Greek Week

Elizabeth Brennan

Last week nine sororities and eight fraternities came together for the annual Greek Week on campus. Starting on Saturday, the chapters participated in a plethora of events ranging from Flag Football to Skit Night and a Chariot Race. The week ended with a Greek-wide Mass on Sunday.

“The purpose of Greek Week is to have the opportunity for our chapters to come together and celebrate their brotherhood and sisterhood,” Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Life Phil O’Neill said. “It was also to promote their core values such as philanthropy and service to the greater Villanova community.”

The week kicked off with a Flag Football tournament on Saturday during which all the fraternities and sororities competed against each other on the field. 

The events continued into the following days, including a Cornhole tournament and a blood drive. At the blood drive, which was run by the American Red Cross, there were so many participants that the Red Cross had to turn students away. Over 140 students signed up for the blood drive, and by the end of the day over 100 pints of blood were donated. 

One of the most popular events of Greek Week was Skit on Tuesday. Skit, a sort of talent show, was held in Jake Nevin Field House, and even students outside of Greek Life came to watch their peers perform the hits of Lady Gaga and other pop tunes. 

Each chapter had the opportunity to put together a performance consisting of dance, music and in most cases comedy. Chapter members said preparation for Skit was intense, with many practices needed in order to perform properly. 

“Typically, guys like football and girls like Skit,” O’Neill said. “It offers the opportunity for the greatest amount of people to be involved. Because our events are mainly sports-centered, Skit allows true creativity and expression to come out that you may not see on a daily basis.” 

Sigma Phi Epsilon won first place in Skit for the fraternities, while Delta Gamma won for the sororities with a Vegas-themed performance.

“I really loved being in Skit because every sorority and fraternity put in so much effort, and it truly paid off for everyone,” said freshman Ivana Wolfe, a member of Delta Delta Delta. 

“Greek Week shows how Greek Life is not all about collecting catchy T-shirts and going to formals,” Meg Dunne, a freshman member of Alpha Phi said. “Each chapter had to complete an individual philanthropy to gain points.”

Philanthropy plays a part in every Greek chapter at Villanova. 

“The values of fraternities and sororities match up to Villanova’s; they are almost identical,” O’Neill said. “The core values of Villanova and the chapters are almost identical in terms of philanthropy and community service. On the last day, there was a Mass added because it is important to celebrate our brotherhoods and sisterhoods. We need to be appreciative of what we have.”

The week ended with the winners announced after the Chariot Race. Kappa Delta took home first place for the sororities, while Sig Ep won first place out of the fraternities. 

“It was awesome winning Greek Week because every year we get so close, and this year we finally pulled it together,” said junior Emily Peretti, Greek Week chair for Kappa Delta.